nebug

Jimmy Godwin once sold me a Paracommander MK1

I jumped back in the sixties. Now I'm in my sixties and starting out again. I bought a rig last Monday with a CYPRES AAD. Never jumped with an automatic opener before. The local dz requires complete retraining (I'm ok with that). The CI has graciously offered to do my training and has advised me on the purchase of my rig. Expect first jump this Saturday (SL) with a new log book. Question: Is this jump #361 or #1 in my logbook and anything to look out for?

I jumped with Jimmy (D-126) at Kissimee. He signed off my C-license app. I think he was the ASO. When Jimmy went up to Eustis to check it out as a dz, I and a couple of other guys jumped in from Jimmy's 182. I think he had to leave Kissimee because of Disneyworld opening (Sept, 71). I don't know. I left for a Vietnam tour about then. I have a picture of Jimmy exiting the 182 holding a giant plastic whiskey bottle. He was a great guy.

Just got my AAD ready to install in my rig and reserve repack. Since you went through what I'm about to, can I expect any jitters the next time the door opens on jump run 30 years later. My first jump will be static line (No AFF here). Thanks for posting.

hi ed,

i think i was more nervous anticipating the jump than when it came time to go. i went to safety day and did some review there (and to meet people) and then some additional emergency procedure practice with the folks at the DZ (it's a small friendly place).

after that i felt pretty comfortable with AC procedures (they'd changed some) and with what i needed to do. i'd also done some searches here on dz.com about returning to the sport after a long layoff and it helped to read others experiences.

then i made arrangements with a friend (who's an instructor) and climbed into the plane. after we got in the plane i was suprised by how familiar it all felt and when it was time and the door opened i knew what to do.......

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't nervous at all but it really was kinda like riding a bike (something i'd read here a few times). i expected sensory overload that wasn't there. i was stable, aware of my surroundings, stayed on heading (i just did a simple free fall with my buddy watching) and did a couple of practice pulls and that was it.

when i was an active jumper most of my jumps were at small cesna dz's and that's what i was fortunate enough to return to so i think that helped with the familiarity thing....i mighta had a harder time at a big dropzone, i don't know......but this was kinda like going home again......

i gotta feeling your jump is gonna end with the something like......"WOW....i remember why i love this......." mine did......

mark

mark:

Jumped yesterday. You were right. A little nervous, the door opened and I couldn't wait to get out to the end of the strut. It's really fun just to hang on the strut with your feet in the breeze. I let go to a too short free fall. I jumped on a no wind day and had to do a butt slide on landing. I can't believe it's just as much fun as an old man as it was as a 19 year old. I think I need a smaller canopy though. Mine drives like a truck and the toggle pressure is too high. It takes most of my strength to land. Flares well enough though. Thanks for the encouraging words.

ed

hey ed,

i figured you'd like it.......looking forward to hearing about your "1st" freefall......i'm jumping a lightly loaded 210 and it's a good time. had a few comments about "nylon overcast" but its all in good fun.....i like the canopy ride and it glides better than anything i've ever flown.

take care and have fun!!!!

mark

hi again mark
Just made my first freefall yesterday. My jm was 80 years old, the pilot was over 60 and I'm 61, just 3 of us, so it was a geriatric load. Old habits die hard I guess. I just can't get used to letting go of the pilot chute. After I get it, I just hold it like a trophy. Going to work on it at home this week. Anyway, it was supposed to be a hop and pop but I took it down for 5 sec. It felt so good. Then I held the pilot chute for 1-2 secs before letting go. But I was stable so I'm good to go. I jumping a 300 ft F-111 car cover for a main and it's really killing me on the landings. I actually think I would land softer on a round, but I don't have one anymore. I am deficient in upper body strength so I can't flair beyond chest level. I looking for something with lower brake pressures like a Navigator 260 or a Pilot. I think I might rent a the Navigator this Saturday and see how it goes. Yesterday was a hoot !! I love this stuff! I made 3 jumps. The reason for the 5 week delay from my 1st jump and the free fall was that my son also jumped with me last month and hooked it in and broke his leg in 4 places. So my wife said I couldn't get hurt until my son could take care of himself. She gave me the clearance this week.
Thanks for the encouragement! Blue skies!

ed

I also had a bit of a break,24 years to be exact. When I went to one DZ--they cleared me to jump even though I d never jumped a square!But

I then re-trained (on the "Dope Rope" again). I m nearly 68 and enjoying myself doing things I couldn t do in the seventies,Balloon jumps,high altitude(22,000ft)jumps ,And DC3s too. Blue Skies (sometimes) KC.

hi again mark
Just made my first freefall yesterday. My jm was 80 years old, the pilot was over 60 and I'm 61, just 3 of us, so it was a geriatric load. Old habits die hard I guess. I just can't get used to letting go of the pilot chute. After I get it, I just hold it like a trophy......

ed

lol.. been there done that.

when I started, main and reserves both had ripcords..

I was looking through my logbook the other day.. noticed my transition from rip cord to throw out class and jump.. it went well.

then next jump however I read in my notes: (~)

"...pulled, didn't feel anything, no slowing down, no line stretch...nothing.. looked left, nothing; looked right ...and there the pilot chute was, right there in my hand.. let go and an otherwise uneventful deployment.."

back then, throwing the ripcord away cost some money!

haven't had a problem getting rid of one since ;)

hi there ed,

that's wonderful!!! it's such a familiar feeling. i don't know anything about your main but you have to be able to land 'em. i've heard folks say that toggle pressure can go up with larger canopies because you're moving more material (with more resistance) but i don't really know.

i was surprised by the toggle pressure on my main (210 Silhouette, very similar to a Navigator)....not bad at all but more than i expected. the best (enough for feedback, but i could hold it in deep brakes all day long) was my cruisair....loved that canopy. i don't think anything is as easy to turn as a Paracommander though.

i'm amazed at the choices of equipment today.......if you have it available try some different canopies......i'm sure you can find something that works. i'll put a vote in for the Silhouette if you can try one....mines pretty tame by today's standards.

i like the hand deploy stories......it used to be kind of a known step that people often prepared for (i also practiced at home about a hundred times i bet before the big day) and i still remember that jump......new (to me) gear.....first piggy-back rig (Wonderhog II, with belly band and 3 ring release) and first square jump. i threw that pilot chute with everything i had and i was surprised by the noise under canopy (and the amazing performance of a Strato-Star).

hope your son heals well!!!

mark

Mark
Nice to hear from you again. My son is now walking without a boot with just a little assistance from crutches. My other son recommends time at the gym time for upper body strength. I'll be demoing some canopies to find one that better fits my situation. If a brake line fails, I'll probably have to chop. There's no way I can riser flare this canopy at all. I'm looking at the Pilot. My rigger friend jumped one and says it feels like it has power steering on the toggles. I'm going to look at the Silhouette now also. I have a Navigator in the club, I can try. My old Strato-Cloud was a 230 ft 7-cell canopy that I found very manageable and it landed nice. I'll actually settle for anything that will land me soft and keep me jumping as I get older. Money is no object on the canopy. My son's first night in the hospital was $13K. I got some red para-cord and made a monkey fist handle for my PC. I fumble when I grab and it's unique shape should be easier to grab.

Regards,

Ed