atsaubrey

Cypress activation changes?

Is it possible to change the Cypress activation from 750ft to something higher like 1000-1500ft? I have an Expert but use basically a tandem reserve. I have been reading other posts about tandem reserves opening slower and would hate to find out the cypress didn't fire in time to open the 335 i'm using. Should I worry or is there an easy way to reprogram one to fire slightly higher, without going to a tandem Cypress?
"GOT LEAD?"

Yep. Its in the cypres manual. There's a way to tell the Cypres that the ground is higher than your current altitude. Its a feature generally used when your landing area is at a different elevation than your airport. For example, Hollister's landing area is 400 feet higher than the airport (they bus you back to the airport), so we have to reset our cypresses on every single jump when at that DZ.

If you tell the cypres that the ground is higher than it actually is, your cypres should fire early. You have to reset it on EVERY SINGLE JUMP, though, which is a PITA. You may want to contact the manufacturer of your reserve to check if this is actually necessary.

Yep. Its in the cypres manual. There's a way to tell the Cypres that the ground is higher than your current altitude.

I don't think, that this is a good idea:
An Expert Cypres fires in a zone between 750 and 130 feet AGL, so you have a activation zone which is 620 ft "thick".
So, if you use the Cypres height adjustment to change the mode in a Tandem mode, you'll have a problem:
Let's say, you "tell" the Cypres, that the landig area is 750 ft higher, so that Cypres will fire at 1500 ft.
In this case, Cypres will "think", that 620 ft deeper ends the activation zone - in fact, you have a death zone below 880 ft - the Cypres will nothing do :o.
That's not a good idea in case you have a deep cutaway...
Don't forget, that you have to reach the activation speed after a low speed mal / cutaway, may a cutaway height above 1000 ft couldn't be enough...

Don't be a Lutz!

Your best bet here would be to check with a rigger familiar with your equipment. You might be better off getting a tandem or student Cypres if that's what you really need.

Like Nightingale said, you can adjust the cypress but it's a PITA and you have to switch the cypres off and then on again after EACH jump.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Badlock is correct - contact Airtec or SSK to clarify and be sure.

Your situation is not unique - contact the manufacturer of your rig and reserve canopy and ask their recommendation. I'll bet they have already figured out the answer and will have it waiting for you.
Arrive Safely

John

I wouldn't worry about the firing altitude. There is no reason why the canopy shouldn't open in plenty of time if you need it. Besides, there are reasons not to have the firing altitude higher. Mostly because you're using the Cypres as the last ditch, save your ass because you screwed up tool. If it was set higher than where it is, you might be just in the middle of working a problem out when out pops your reserve.

Just my $0.02, but I'd leave it alone.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."