justin84

Did my first AFF today, did some stuff wrong, but it was AWESOME

This was my very first jump, no prior tandems or anything so I was expecting some sensory overload. What I didn't expect was that I would forget to do the practice grabs and only check my altimeter like.. twice. My instructor ended up having to deploy my chute for me at 4500ft.. Fail.

Anyways, the ride was awesome, but I'm kinda bummed that I made such a monster mistake. Anyone else have this happen on their first jump?

My instructors said I arched really well and had good canopy control once the chute was out lol. So I guess it wasn't all bad.

Sounds to me like you were just enjoying the scenery instead of focusing on the fundamentals of your first jump. No biggie I wouldn't think, just go back at it again. Now you will learn from your mistakes. Keep it up!!!;)

-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

Fail.

Put that word out of your head. An AFF jump is training to do something you've never done before; it's not an exam. Read my comments in post #4 of this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3902505;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

And yes, everything you've described is quite normal for an AFF-1.

Fail.

Put that word out of your head. An AFF jump is training to do something you've never done before; it's not an exam. Read my comments in post #4 of this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3902505;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Well worth repeating. Thanks, Andy
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Fail.

VERY well said. And yes, student jumps are extremely expensive in comparrison but it's worth it, it's worth my life to get good training on how to skydive properly. I've messed up on 2 student jumps so far but it's not the end of the world.

level 1 aff, at 6,000 feet i locked onto my alti, like you are supposed to. then i tried pulling everything on my right side EXCEPT the pilot chute. instructor deployed my canopy after fighting my hand to get to the pilot chute.

i was able to go onto level 2 because i was alti aware, but i have never had a problem finding or deploying for myself since.

it happens often so dont stress it, learn from it and keep you're eyes on your alti. it doesnt tell you how high you are, it tells you how LOW you are.

deep breaths and being relaxed will help you tremendously.

good luck and blue skies,
mitch
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

It does sound a little like sensory overload but don't worry as that will change very quickly now that you have a jump completed. Just relax and focus on what the instructors are asking you to do. Playing a movie in your head to visualize ahead of time exactly what you are going to do in the jump will help you follow through. Keep at it!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

We were just happy you eventually let go of the plane! Don't sweat it - read my student logbook - I was not exactly a brilliant student :-) You'll get it...

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/HowCRW.html

I was looking through your logs, and I noticed that it says S/L jumps dont credit towards obtaining your license... Why is this? IAD jumps do. ?? Even the "non" freefall jumps.
-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

Same thing happened to me. My instructor did the signal to do a practice touch. I was just having such a blast I was like huh? Finally after trying three times, he pushed my arm back to show me I needed to do a practice touch. I realized then. And I still had plenty time to practice a few more times, lock on, and pull on my own. I don't think that's a hugely uncommon thing. :) enjoy the skies!!!
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

I agree with the previous posters. It's a lot to take in on that first jump. I did a tandem a while ago, and I'm glad I did it first. Even knowing what freefall felt like, on the first AFF everything was mechanical. (Testament to good instruction, but also evidence that it's overwhelming.) Every one of my AFFs so far seems to fly by.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.