Melissa126

AFF on Saturday ahhhhhhhhhhh

Hey everyone! I signed up and am starting my AFF on Saturday! I've had 4 "working tandems"... I kept doing them until I got more comfortable being in the air, and I think I'm finally ready!!! Biggest fears: (1) knowing when to cut away and when to try and fix (2) landing (i'm much more a fan of freefall than the whole canopy thing). Hopefully I'll be able to get my first four jumps in within the month then save up a little and finish!

That's cool!! ....I'm actually kind of the opposite of you. I started on static line so the canopy ride was really the highlight of my first few jumps and now free fall is a whole NEW thrill.

It was strange going out at higher than 3500 feet for me the first free fall but they say that if a free fall student jumps at 3500 feet it feels way too low for them. Ha ha...;)

The weather looks a little iffy for Saturday, if ater ground school it's too rainy to jump do they jump the following day instead?

They'll send you up whenever the rain stops, they find a hole in the clouds and will be able to fill the plane. Sometimes, skydivers end up doing stupid human tricks because they wait around so long for the skies to clear. My advice with that is to watch but not participate. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

After waiting out the clouds ALL day, I got my jump in. Passed. LOVING life right now. Going tomorrow for the next two!!! My biggest fear ended up being my biggest problem - landing. I was a little lost up there, had a sliding butt landing in the wrong area of the dz, but no injuries. Everything else went well. Now thinking of everything I can sell so I can do the rest of them as soon as I can!!!

Well that's good to hear! So now that you know that canopy control is your weakpoint, I guess you'll be focusing primarily on that right? Keep it up!

I can't wait to get encouragement from others lol. Here i am, with no jumps yet, and I'm cheering on a person with 5. So I'm sure you're like, "shutup" newbie, but I'm just lovin this stuff. I do my first aff in 3 weeks! Woot!:)

-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

After waiting out the clouds ALL day, I got my jump in. Passed. LOVING life right now. Going tomorrow for the next two!!! My biggest fear ended up being my biggest problem - landing. I was a little lost up there, had a sliding butt landing in the wrong area of the dz, but no injuries. Everything else went well. Now thinking of everything I can sell so I can do the rest of them as soon as I can!!!

Congrats on the jump! Glad to hear all went well. You are on your way now! ;)
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Congratulations on your first AFF jump.

had a sliding butt landing

And that's exactly why, in another thread, people were recommending you not do too many tandems before your first solo landing, because tandems can create a habit of landing on one's butt. Your legs, when used properly, are great shock absorbers; your coccyx and spine... not so much. Before your next jump, talk with your instructors about this. And keep us posted!

Nice to see your on your way. All this talk of people doing there AFF (ahint of jelousy!). I am having to wait till early October due to other dates being full[:/]
My instructors have told me not to bother with any more tandem jumps just go directly to AFF so just waiting to hit the skys!!!!

Keep up the good work and stay safe;)

Hey guys! Did category B and C today! B went great, had a PLF on the GRASS this time! Then went on to C, a slow right turn the whole time [it was because my legs kept creaping back then I'd have to remember to straighten them]. Had very Minor line twists and kicked right out of it. Everything else went really well. I had a SWEET stand up landing! Next jump: C2 with only One instructor.:ph34r:

Hey guys! Did category B and C today! B went great, had a PLF on the GRASS this time! Then went on to C, a slow right turn the whole time [it was because my legs kept creaping back then I'd have to remember to straighten them]. Had very Minor line twists and kicked right out of it. Everything else went really well. I had a SWEET stand up landing! Next jump: C2 with only One instructor.:ph34r:

You are moving right along with the AFF levels. Keep up the good work and you'll be jumping solo before you know it. Good work on the stand-up landing too!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

[it was because my legs kept creaping back then I'd have to remember to straighten them].

what do you mean you stopped turning by straightening your legs? Just curious, I thought they needed to be at about a 45 degree angle to complete the arch. ?
-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

[it was because my legs kept creaping back then I'd have to remember to straighten them].

what do you mean you stopped turning by straightening your legs? Just curious, I thought they needed to be at about a 45 degree angle to complete the arch. ?

I was turning because my knees weren't even (my legs were too bent, I had to continuously remember to keep them at the correct angle).

just an update! I did cat C2 today (with one instructor), had a nice exit, and my first release.. and boy did I spin.. A few times I stopped it, a few times I stopped it then spun the other way, a few times my instructor stopped the spin for me, and for a brief period I was stable.. Needless to say, Repeat! I gained composure and pulled at proper altitude. Had a pretty good landing, a little more wind than I'm used to, and I jumped a 190 instead of a 200. Wind kept me grounded the rest of today, headed back in the morning to try again! I didn't "feel" tense, but I'm pretty sure that was the problem [I was told that everything appeared normal, arms, legs even] just have to control my heading and ARCH more. At one point I took a DEEP breath and felt myself sink right into stability. Now I'm determind to conquer this!!!

You gotta experience it to learn it right. I'm really glad you're keeping a positive attitude about it and having a great time! That's the way to be in my opinion.

I think skydiving is the one time we guys can get away with asking a girl her weight.... or in a round about way her wing loading! :P I'm really just curious about how the slightly smaller canopy worked for you. I got to go down from my usual 260 to a 230 today and that thing flew like WAY better. I had a blast too since it was a longer canopy ride than I'm used to.

Did your instructor say you should've arched harder? That would be my first thought on your spins but I'm not going to be guessing arbitrarily.

hey! yes, definitely had to arch more, and relax my upper back and arms. I passed C2 today! Then did D1, had an unstable exit the first time, instructor and I ended up a propeller on our backs for awhile. So tried D1 again, spent all of it trying to get stable... a little frustrating since earlier today I didn't really spin, but then I jump again and started to. Corrected it (a little over-corrected... spun the other way), got stable before pull time...SO frustrating. Had a nice stand up landing at least.