Coasterbrad

Love at First Flight

Good morning everyone,

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name is Brad and I am a 20 year old student. I made my first tandem jump on May 1st, and all I can say is "I get it." I get why you crazy people go to the DZ's every weekend. I get why you pay the money to be in this sport. I get why you jump out of airplanes. I totally and completely get it.

Since my jump, I have not been able to stop thinking about my next jump, going through AFF, getting my licence, making some cool exits, and everything else skydiving related. I'm hooked after one jump. Now I just have to start saving up money so I can really get into the sport.

My first jump was at Sky's the Limit in East Stroudsburg, PA. I jumped out of a Skyvan and got to do a tailgate exit, which was awesome. It was a very nice day out so they climbed to altitude with the door open. Getting to look out the back and see the ground for the entire flight up was really a great experience. The jump itself was unbelievable. I absolutely loved it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi as I will probably be hanging out around here for a while. I look forward to chatting with you all and learning all there is to learn about this great sport. Thanks and see you around the forum.

Oh, do I win the award for cheesiest thread title? :)

Brad, welcome to the insanity! Glad to hear about your first jump, complete with cheesy title. That Skyvan rear exit is fun and allows for some interesting stunts. Let us know how your AFF progresses. As much as you liked the tandem, I predict you will like the AFF jumps even more, and it just keeps getting better.

Blue skies!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Congrats on the first jump. I just made my first jump on May 1st as well, a quick ride down I-80 from Sky's The Limit, at Above The Poconos and like you, now I'm absolutely craving getting back into the sky.

My first jump class is next Saturday. I can't wait!

Keep us updated on how your AFF goes.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will definitely keep you updated on my progress, but unfortunately I won't be able to get started for a while. The whole money thing is an issue considering I'm a broke college student.

When I do get going with my AFF I'll be in here a lot.

Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

Money issues can slow you down but doesn't necessarily have to stop you. One thing I learned at my first jump course is that you can stretch out your AFF training as much as one jump every 30 days to spread out the financial pain. I don't know if this varies by drop zone or if it's a USPA thing. However, it money is an issue, it's probably something you can ask your DZ about.
That wasn't flying. That was falling with style.

but unfortunately I won't be able to get started for a while. The whole money thing is an issue considering I'm a broke college student.

Ding Ding Ding!! Sounds like we have a new packer!! B|

haha seriously though, I'm glad that you had a good time! Welcome to the skies!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Cobgrats on your first jump and out of a Skyvan no less! Welcome to our crazy little corner of the universe. regarding the money thing. As soemelse mentioned "looks like we have a new packer" . The money thing does not have to hold you back. You can learn how to pack (which you will need to know how to do to get your A license) and make some money towards your AFF training. I know a couple of college students who are packers the the pack money is used towards their AFF progression. I would talk to the DZO and perhaps they are willing to work something out with you. it is important to our sport to retain people like yourself and unfortunately this sport can be expensive especially nowadays with the economy and all.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

glad you enjoyed it. since money is a problem for you you might want to find a dz near you that will offer you a n aff package or a license package. i spent 1800 on the a license package where i jump, thats cheap for getting your license. just save the money and you wont mind eating roman noodles if it means you get to make skydives.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Thanks for the tips and information. I was actually thinking of looking into working at a DZ near me this summer, and you all make it sound like a really good idea.

It looks like Cross Keys is the closest one to me, so I'll have to check them out.

And how does packing work at most DZ's? Is that an actual paid position or is it just making tips when you pack for fun jumpers?

Thanks again for the welcome and info everyone!

Hi Brad -- congrats on the jump, and welcome to the community! It's an amazing adventure :-)

I made my first jump when I was your age (and also a very broke college student), and it's taken me over 6 years to finally get my license. I started AFF twice between then and now, but either ran out of money or ran out of good weather.

My suggestion would be to not start AFF until you have the money together to get yourself all the way through the progression. You learn a lot quicker when you can jump multiple times in one day and on consecutive weekends (i.e. when you're not spending weeks between jumps to scrounge up the money to pay for your next one).

It's expensive to lose currency during AFF since those jumps will be some of the priciest you'll ever make, and many DZ's will make you repeat your last AFF jump if you go more than a month between jumps. (I probably spent an extra $500 on training because I didn't plan my timing or finances well and had to repeat jumps.) It's also a good idea to ask your DZ about their re-currency policy for AFF students before you sign up.

But do indeed look into packing at the DZ! You should make at least $5 per pack job, and with experience, you should be able to pack a canopy in well less than 10 minutes. You do the math on how much you could make on a busy weekend! Sure as hell beats work-study ;-)