SugarBug

Hoping to finish AFF this weekend

HI!! I did two tandems and was hooked...started my AFF class this past saturday, and ended up going back on sunday. I completed my first 4 levels but am stuck at 5. I have to repeat it. I can't seem to get myself stable enough in the air to be able to turn, stop, and move forward well enough for my instructor. Any suggestions???

You're right about where I'm at. I'm hoping to do my level 5 this weekend. What were your objectives for level 4? We had to do turns and flying forward for a dock for level 4, & I found that not getting too hung up and just going with it, following my instructor even if I messed up...my right turn I had a lot of problems with my legs and was trying to make up for it with my arm movements, but my instructor reminded me it's all legs, which is what my body ended up learning on the second turn.

I don't know if that helps at all. If anything, make sure you breathe! You'll get through it. Don't think about whether you'll pass or fail, just get out there and be where you are! :)

-km

I had the same problem this week . Relax, relax and relax (to go with that breathe, breathe and breathe). I have a tense posture to begin with so it is taking me a bit to be able to relax. Was hoping to get past level 3 today but nothing but rain in the forcast for a few days. Good luck, I feel your frustration with repeating a level.

Lets see for level 4 I needed to be able to do turns at 90 and back to my instructor, forward motion to him and be able to stop and control it. For Level 5 I had to be able to do 360 turns both to the left and right, control and stop them and inbetween forward motion to my instructor. I think my relaxation was a huge factor in both my level 4 and 5 jumps...i'm a natural lefty and once they took my second instructor away from me my exit was very unstable leaving the door. for lack of a better explanation i was almost falling out b/c of my body's natural balance. For level 5 my instructor moved me early to the diving exit and i was more comforatable with that but didn't extend my arms far enough out and arch fast enough. I ended up falling on my back and he had to right me. after that i just couldn't seem to get stable and relaxed enough to control myself. I felt rushed. I'm also having the issue of when i go to do my turns i look to the left for a left turn but push to my right side.

And have you been practicing the drills I gave you?B|

See you this weekend

Every Morning before I leave for work!!! And before I go to bed!! We'll see how it works saturday morning!!! As half awake as I am when I leave for work, im lucky if i remember my badge for work!!!

congrats on finishing level 5. my 6th aff i ended up on my back. all you need to do is arch as much as you can and you will flip over to belly-earth orientation. talk to your instructor about that cause on level 6 you have to get unstable (by doing a backloop) and this will help you tremendously if you can nail the arch.

good luck
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

congrats on finishing level 5. my 6th aff i ended up on my back.

good luck

Lol, we covered that already b/c it happened on my 2nd & 3rd attempts at level 5. My instructor actually briefed us on how to fix that situation at the start of level 4. It was in interesting senstation falling back to the earth i'll tell you that much. I'm very excited to start doing flips. They look like so much fun!!!