maria982

my first jump

Hi All--

Just did my first AFF Jump 6 days ago and can NOT get it out of my head!! (Familiar feeling for all reading this, i'm sure! ;) ) I took my class back on April 4th but due to high winds was not able to jump that day. The DZ where i took my class is about 4 and a half hours away so this past Sunday, May 17, was the first chance i had to get back up there...I think my hyper-obsessing for a month and a half actually helped me to be well prepared. :)

The jump was AMAZING! I did learn thru watching my video that i turned my palm forward when throwing my pilot so it had to work itself off the front of my arm quickly. My only other issue was landing..i flared about 8 feet too high and didn't flare all the way. I still had an okay landing, but did fall forward to my knees...next time will have more faith in the flare and wait a second longer.

Anyways...looking forward to more jumps and hope to find a DZ a little closer so i can jump more often...even though i have to say i love everyone up at freefall express in mount vernon!

look forward to many jumps and a lot of great info on here!! :)

Maria
Once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to be. -Leonardo DaVinci

hey! i'd love to post it! i am having trouble actually loading the video at the moment, but the link is http://vimeo.com/4712582
the first 3 and a half minutes is a promo for Freefall Express...my jump is right after that! I welcome any thoughts on it!! I've learned a lot just by watching it so much! ;)

Once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to be. -Leonardo DaVinci

Welcome to the forums! Good luck on the rest of your training. Have you checked out the "dropzone" link at the top of the page to see which dz's might be closer to you?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks, but it was a no go... friggin winds! :( Least I did ground school and got 2 quizzes out of the way, so next Sunday we'll try it again. (Or if the weather is nice Friday) The nerves are really starting to kick in though.... [:/]

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

oh no!.... bummer! hopefully you can go soon.

hey i just watched the transcending fear video by brian germain on youtube. it helped alot with my nervousness. of course, i'm not starting aff for a few weeks, so, i would imagine your nerves are much more on edge than mine. :)
keep us posted, i really want to know how it goes for you!

Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

Thank you!! I cant wait to do my next jump...i feel like it will go much better! The encouragement on this site is just awesome! Trying to talk to family and people i work with just drives them crazy and they can't understand the feeling you get from doing this! Nice to talk to people who can relate!!!:P

Trying to talk to family and people i work with just drives them crazy and they can't understand the feeling you get from doing this!!:P

+ 1 ... most of my friends and family just go "STFU, you fruitcake" ... the "funniest" things I got asked was "ok you are done your AFF now wot? you are done right?" [:/] ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

Riiiight...people are like "so, you finally went skydiving...something you can cross off your list now, right?" :S Before I ever jumped i thought it may just be something I'd experience in life...now i just think about those few minutes over and over and over...a black girl i work with now just refers to me as the "crazy white girl!" hahaha! :)

Heh... My sis says you're going back? Why?!? Can't you be happy ya did it twice and let's not talk about this anymore. LMAO! She doesn't get it... however, my very old Nana in a nursing home suffering from terrible alzheimers - doesn't remember much of anything (I wasn't about to tell her my Aunt did I think) SHE thinks it's wonderful and mentions it whenever we talk - go figure! LOL! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

i've pretty much burned out all the people i know with my one and only jump story. even my husband asked me if i thought i'd ever stop talking about it... but let's see if he feels the same way in a few weeks when he goes. i'm buying him a tandem (and me, too) for our 10th anniversary. then that's it for me and the tandem stuff. i'm starting aff right afterwards.

so i, too, am so grateful to have you guys to talk with! more people who love to talk about skydiving! my favorite topic these days!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

haha ur the crazy white girl...I'm the crazy black teenager. My grandfather winces everytime I talk about skydiving. However, they will never know unless they make a jump. I love what I do, and I've spent a good deal of money to do it.. You will too of that I am sure. Have FUN!!!!B|

Me: I want to ride a bull out of a skyvan.
vegasjoe: How the hell are you going to land that thing?
Me: Who said anything about landed with it? I think after we'll have some Bar-B-Que.

:)I just love reading these types of comments from the young jumpers...the excitement, the anxiety, the anticipation, the pure unadulterated joy of the sport.

Thanks and congrats to you all!
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239