Ketia0

just started.. and addicted.. but need help

ok. so i did my first tandem and absolutely LOVED it!!

so much infact that i did a second tandem a week and half later...

and lvoed it so much i did my first solo a week later!!

i dont know if its because skydiving is just so awesome or my add kicking in and making me hyperfocus. lol..:ph34r:

anywho.
when i did my first solo i didnt do so hot. i was wondering if there are any tips to help out.

here are my problems..

im not arching when i get out the door. i forgot to wave off before pulling ripcord. my legs are REALLY far apart..

im sure that most of this is common for new skydivers and only takes practice.. but if there is any tips i would love them!

also.. my landing was the.. best.. ever.. i was looking at the ground and couldnt tell how i was. so i flared to early or late.. i dont remember.. but i hit the ground kinda hard. went straight to the butt..

but all in all.. i really love this!!!
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Hi ketia...Welcome to the sport.The advice I would give you is listen to your instructers,Practice your arch when you can,go to the mock up of the plane and go threw the whole dive. exit, arch visualise the dive.My instructers gave me the best advice when they said what you do and say on the ground is what you will do in the air.And do not get down on yourself it was your first solo things will click give it some time.If it will make you feel better my first aff dive i did not do anything rite did not respond to commands no wave off at 5,500 and i did not even pull when given the command to do so the instructer pulled for me at about 3,500 feet.To top it all off the primary jumpmaster had a malfunction and choped very low he landed off the dz so needless to say i was not very popular.But I stuck with it threw thick and thin asked a lot of questions.I am a newbie to the sport but there are men and women on this sight with thousands of jumps and a wealth of knowledge that are willing to share it if asked.Well sorry if I am rambling Ilike this sport so much and the people you meet so remember have fun and listen to those sky gods out there.....BLUES
Smile,pull,land

Welcome to the skies! I did 79 jumps between 1990-1993 and just got current again two weeks ago, so I'm kind of a newbie again. I do get nervous on my jumps only because I don't want to be the one ti f#@k up :o the jump because I've been out of the sport so long (btw I've done great, just like riding a bike). Just be sure to relax and try not to over think things. Be sure to dirt dive your jump as many times as it takes until you are comfortable with it. Mentally go over the jump as many times as that takes too. If you are unsure of anything ASK! It may also help to practice your arch on the ground first. Smile, jump, arch, relax and enjoy the blue skies! It'll come. :)

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Some of the advise I give my students..

im not arching when i get out the door.

You can never practice to much, when your at home, find a wall, place the toe of one foot against the wall, that is your distance, now take up a good freefall body postion with your feet shoulder width apart that one foot length away from the wall, then arch and make your pelvis and only your pelvis touch the wall....thats your arch...

i forgot to wave off before pulling ripcord

like others have said, visulize the jump, from the command "Take up a good door postion" to deployment. Thats (depending on yoyur aircraft) Right hand, right foot, left hand, left foot, check in, check out, prop, up down ARCH. Heading, Altitude, check left check right ARCH, rinse repeat...5500 relax, ARCH, wave, pull, check.

my legs are REALLY far apart

Muscle memory is key in this sport, which is wy we do things many many times over....get in the habbit on your day to day things you do, stand with your legs shoulder width apart...unless attire dosent allow, when sitting legs same way, again unless attire dont allow....dont want no basic instinct going on at your work place

Biggest thing, dont get complacement...you only get 45-60 seconds of practice in the air every jump....thats not alot of time, so dont get frustrated. Listen to your instrustors as they are in the sky with you, and get video any time you can to help you see exactly what you are doing wrong.

Have fun and enjoy the ride...
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

you just described me ... except for the tandem part. I was arching quite well but was having problems with my legs being bent all the way to my butt ... I did this for my first 2 jumps during AFF ... I was only able to correct my legs issue after one of my instructors showed me how to practice the correct body position the ground, I'd arch and put my feet up on the chair extended out just the right amount and hold it for a while (I am not sure if you can see the picture but I am sure your AFFIs can show you wot I mean). After doing that for a bit I was good with my legs. I also didnt consciously begin waving off until after my 4th jump I believe. After a few jumps you will be more conscientious and take in more of what is happening in free fall ... My landings were brutal (but least my PLFs were awesome LOL) until my 5th landing. I was flaring way too high and way too fast until my AFFI told me to forget the "flare at 10ft rule", and gave me a countdown to slow down my flare. Again all this helped ME so talk with your instructors to modify your behaviors to help you come down softly. The AFF instructors know their poo, well the ones I jump with sure do.

PS: I wish I had never known about skydiving, its a curse I tell ya. I cant jump everyday and yet I cant stop thinking about it ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

thanks yall for the help. i am hoping i will be able to do my second solo tommrow. i am going to practice all night ( i am working graveyard shift.).
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell