eFrosty

New around here...

Hi! I'm Mike, never jumped before, but am already planning a jump within a 2-4 months from now. Have things to pay first then I will :D I'm already excited about, just reading about it makes me feel like it's definitely something I want to do in life.

Thank you. I found a DZ by here in Walterboro, so I'll be going there to train and learn. I'm also thinking about doing a Tandem jump first to get the feel of it. When/if I get to the ground if I feel adequate enough, I'll move on to AFF, if not I'll do a couple more tandem jumps just to get the whole feel of things. Thats what I plan on doing though...

Yeah what we plan and what we do are not always the same. See how you feel, there's nothing saying you HAVE to do a tandem first either. Talk the th DZ's instructors and see what they recommend. Take it easy :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Being a new jumper myself, what I'd recommend is spend about 10 minutes in a wind tunnel the night before you go up to the DZ, then jump right in to AFF. Seeing how 10 minutes cost me $110, it seemed like it wasn't worth it at first. But if you look at the cost of a jump with about 1 minute of freefall ($25 at my local DZ), and compare that to the $110 for 10 minutes of tunnel time, you get a LOT more "freefall" for your money. Plus, the tunnel is a great place to learn/develop your stability, especially if you have an experienced instructor in the tunnel with you. I can't begin to describe how much the tunnel time before my AFF 1 and 2 helped! Oh and on top of that, those 10 minutes of tunnel time cost about ONE THIRD the price of AFF level 1 and HALF the price of AFF levels 2 and 3 at my DZ. So the cost of failing one of these levels and having to retake it is much more expensive than 10 minutes of tunnel time.

Good luck and enjoy your skydiving experience!

Thanks. I talked to one of the instructors there today and he said they don't do AFF training :( so I'm probably gonna start out with a Static Line jump since for one I want to enjoy the most out of my 195$(Mainly cause right now I work at papa johns and make 300 ever two weeks XD). So my plan now is to do SL training untill I can break free of student status...that's my general plan; it may change when I get there, but for now that's what I'm sticking with. Thanks for all the helpful information so far! Great community! Also we don't have a Wind Tunnel down here that I know of...

Hey Mike! Thanks for replying to my post and welcoming me to the forum. It's always nice to meet some new skydivers.

Good luck on your first jump- when it finally comes! Trust me, I know how it is... With car payments and gas prices, it took me months to set enough aside to pay for my AFF. Sadly bills HAVE to come first. But trust me, it's worth every penny! So far it's been money well spent.

Well, welcome to the sport! :)

Haha thanks...and yes bills come first! It will probably take me till either next week or the week after that (hopefully) to have enough to jump twice XD It's 195 for the first jump and 65 till I'm done with student status here. Which is pretty cheap compared to a lot of things.

Hope to see you in the sky, mike.

Thanks. I talked to one of the instructors there today and he said they don't do AFF training

That's funny. They advertise AFF training on DZ.com but not on their webpage.
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/243.shtml
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239