SkyHigh04

New To Skydiving

Hey everyone, I've recently jumped into the amazing sport/hobby of skydiving and I love it. I'm 22 years old, live in SE Pennsylvania about 20 min outside of the Kutztown Skydiving Center and 1hr 45min from Above the Poconos.

My brother passed away from cancer at 25 years old on 1/26/08 (see www.stephenjkunitskyfund.org) and I kind of took a whole new look at my life and decided to live it to the fullest. I've ALWAYS wanted to go skydiving but just never did it. My brother's passing sparked the fire in me and I did my first tandem at Above the Poconos, home of Guiness World Records holder Don Kellner (most sport parachute jumps, over 37,000). I loved it so much that I actually did my 2nd tandem the same day with a barrel roll, L&R 360, tracking, and some canopy control.

About 2 weeks ago I did my 3rd tandem at Above the Poconos and this time we did 5 consecutive front flips right out of the plane, L&R 360, tracking, and then I was supposed to pull the ripcord but it was cold and I was wearing gloves, couldn't find the cord =/, was in the right area but couldn't get a grip on it but next time I'll get it!

The people at Above the Poconos are extremely nice and care about your safety so it makes it a much more enjoyable experience. I highly recommend jumping there if you're in the area.

Anyways, I plan on pursuing my A license so my next step is to take the solo course and basic skills tandem evaluation, then 1 or 2 IADs, followed by AFF. I've been extremly excited about learning the sport and plan on doing it for the rest of my life. I've watched hundreds of videos on youtube and other sites and done a lot of research. Now all I have to do is make it through the training. I can't wait. I'm honored to be among all of you here at dropzone.com. I feel that it takes a special kind of person to want to jump out of planes, so on that note, we all have something in common. Skydivers just seem like an amazing group of individuals who look at life for all it's worth. Anyways, I'm sure I've rambled enough for now. Hope to jump with some of you soon!

-Alex
"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Welcome to the addicted. I myself picked up skydiving in 2004 due to a change of attitude after losing some family and friends. Since then I've jumped accross the country and met some amazing and genuinely friendly people. That is the great side of skydiving. Hope student training goes well, and remember life is a journey not a destination. Blue Skies!!B|

Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

Thank you Chris and skymama for welcoming me. I'm so excited about getting into the sport more. It's cool to have a site where skydivers from all over can come together to discuss their love for skydiving.
"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

I've already added this to the youtube stream on here but I just wanted to post a quick link showing my first tandem. The video is being done for my friend so it shows his freefall but I'm shown during the training, with my brothers shirt on, and landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyACZEvn9EE

Seldom, do I ever feel the need to write in the
forums but yours is an exception. If your older
brother were still around I think he would say,
"Way to go for you, younger brother. Way to
go for you." Savor the moments at the drop
zone, perhaps, those memories and those
friends will be the best part of your life.
Perhaps, if you are lucky, they will be.
grace, peace & blue skies, young jumper

OMG! You did that in the freezing snow?! YIKES! And you liked it? Just wait until it's a beautiful hot sunny day. You hop out of the plane at altitude, into the cool breeze and look at the green earth below you and fly free. That's when you decide that life is being lived. I can't wait to hear from you when you have experienced it that way. Good for you to do it at all. Most people don't get that far. ;)

Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate the warm welcome. I've been working my butt off and saving any money I can for my AFF training. The weather is getting much warmer here in SE Pennsylvania and it makes me want to jump even more. Every day when I'm working outside, I look up to the sky and just imagine the perfect freefall. I picture an amazing view I might have of the area during the canopy ride down. I even had a dream that I landed in my front yard after a jump lol

I know my brother would be proud of me and give me nothing but words of encouragement to pursue my dream of skydiving. I know he will be flying right beside me every time among the bluest skies. I'm so excited to train and become licensed. I have all these plans in my head already of wanting to take road trips to certain DZs I've been reading about on the forums, ie...Cross Keys, Skydive Chicago, The Farm, etc..

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I can't wait for a warm weather jump!

Don't worry, I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched. First focus is safety and training ;)

For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been, and there you long to return." ~Da Vinci
I probably butchered the quote, but you get my drift:)
I would advise putting your retirement account in the legally binding hands of someone else...teehee! Cielos Azul, Mi Amigo! And welcome.
can I borrow a jump ticket real quick?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really like that quote...might have to use it!