PoppyFunk

New (with all the same comments)

I'm obviously nuts or something. I have this strange urge to fall out of the sky and it just won't go away regardless of how many people tell me that I'm insane.

*waves*

I'm Grace and I'm new here. I'm new to all of it. I've never jumped (yet), but my first tandem is scheduled for Jan 5th. So, is it normal to be completely scared to death and overwhelmingly excited, all at the same time? And what if the plane gets up to altitude and I lose it? What if I end up at the rear of the plane in the fetal position? Does everyone think the same things?

I love heights, I love to fly (in planes, of course), and I love to go fast. Now, it's just a matter of combining all of those things in a downward motion.

Thanks for letting me obsess here.

~Grace
"Analyze this!"
http://www.myspace.com/poppyfunk

Hi Grace! Welcome :)
I made my first tandem jump in October and every day I wake up just a little more obsessed with doing it again (though next time on my own!). I'm sure you will enjoy your jump; however, if you get up to altitude and decide you are just not ready, there is no shame in staying on the plane... there will always be another opportunity. By the way, which DZ are you jumping?

Good luck!

PS - if they offer the option, get the video so you can show your friends and family! You only get one first jump!

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

My first jump was also a tandem in October and it really is a fantastic experience. It can grab you hook, line and sinker. It did me. Within a few hours of landing what was only going to be a one-time experience, I was on the phone to the DZ finding out about training for getting my license. I've done two AFF jumps now and it just gets better.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Hi Grace! Welcome :)By the way, which DZ are you jumping?

Good luck!

PS - if they offer the option, get the video so you can show your friends and family!

Thanks for the welcome! See, it's reading words like yours that have convinced me that this is a good idea. So quit writin' 'em!!!!
;)

I'm go to Skydive Kentucky in Elizabethtown. They have some really good reviews on here.

They do offer the video and he asked me if I wanted that when I called to schedule the jump. I told him no at the time. I couldn't imagine really video'ing it because it just really didn't seem like something I *needed*. But, everyone I've talked to keeps telling me to do it. So, he told me to call him back and let him know if I change my mind. I probably will.

Thanks again.

~Grace
"Analyze this!"

My first jump was also a tandem in October and it really is a fantastic experience. It can grab you hook, line and sinker. It did me. Within a few hours of landing what was only going to be a one-time experience, I was on the phone to the DZ finding out about training for getting my license. I've done two AFF jumps now and it just gets better.

It's already grabbed me and I haven't even done it yet!! I'm in trouble, aren't I?

Flying was always a dream of mine. Hell, just being in the sky was a dream. I got accepted into flight school at Northwest University when I was 17, a four year degree with a commercial license at the end of it. I'd never been in anything other than an airliner at that time, so the instructor says "come on. Let's go for a run and see if you can fly." We hop in this *tiny* two-seat Cessna, he takes us up, then lets me take the controls for about 20 seconds. It was enough to hook me for life. I never went to school. I ended up dropping that dream for some reason and became a nurse instead.

For some reason now, jumping out of the plane sounds better than staying in it.

BTW, I ramble.

Thanks for the welcome!!

~Grace
"Analyze this!"

It's already grabbed me and I haven't even done it yet!! I'm in trouble, aren't I?

Yep:D:DBut this is the right kind of trouble to be in. Not only is skydiving a great adventure, but it attracts a lot of pretty great people, definitely free spirits.
I've always like flying in planes, usually with a window weat and my nose stuck to the window, but the view is sooooooo much better without the plane in the way!!! You're gonna love it.

POPS #10490

Most people get sensory overload and it's hard to remember everything that went on once the jump is over.

Yep! My tandem was from 15,500 - about a 1 minute freefall, and I remember exactly 3 seconds of it. Watching the video helped me remember a lot of it. Not to mention I got to see how absolutely awful I was! Flopping around like a rag doll with no arch whatsoever. :$:D

Hope you enjoy the jump, and go back for more!
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Hi Grace, feel the fear and embrace it, then do it anyway. I was scared shitless my first jump ans actually froze in the door for just a second. Now, i always want to be the first out! Be scared and enjoy it.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Hi and congratulations on your choice to jump. Remember it's your "choice". I did my first tandem in 2005, took AFF in 2006 and have been jumping ever since. I was hooked from the moment we summersaulted three times out the door of that King Air. Yeah it's natural to be scared, but trust me the rewards are well worth the anxiety. I'm sure you'll have a great time, and get it on video if you can. Have a great jump !!!
Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the nice welcome and for the reassuring words. I *do* get that it's my choice and I don't *have* to do anything that I'm not really ready to do, trust me. I'm ready for this! It's just that little bitty spot right in the pit of my stomach that is arguing with the rest of my brain still, but I'll shut it up before the big day arrives. B|

Only 12 more days to go....accckkkk!!!!!!!! Twelve? I gave myself way too long to think about this.

"Analyze this!"

Hi Grace and others,

I am new too. I never thought I could jump and it has always scared the hell out of me the thought of jumping out of a plane. But I went up with my housemate, who was learning to get certified. He said I was pretty white the whole way up, but it was so excillerating that I am definately addicted! It stills scares me and excites me to levels I have never felt before! I did 2 tandems, one was a lesson and I am just waiting to get down to Mesquite to take the rest of them. (our drop zone closed for the winter shortly after my jump.) I have plans for my jumping future but need to get certified first! this site is great for learning too. thanks,
Mo

My tandem that was scheduled last Saturday was canceled due to weather issues. *sigh* They shut down for forecasted high temps below 40 degrees and I think the forecast called for high 30's that morning. The guy had told me if it was to be mid-high 30's, then they would consider it depending on the rest of the weather. However, it was also raining and windy. So........(the most frustrating part was that two days later, it was 70 and nice)

Now, we're on for this Saturday to try again. Just checked the weather site for an update...

Saturday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. Southwest winds up to 5 mph.

Wish me luck.
"Analyze this!"

Wow! Would it be nice to jump in the 40's. The temp here has only been in the 20's the last 4 times I've jumped and that's on the ground. It's a little cool when they pop the door open, to say the least. :| Have a blast when you jump..... We will think positively.....The weather will be perfect (for both of us:)

POPS #10490

Hi Grace and welcome. That sucks that your tandem got postponed, hope the weather clears up for you soon. My first jump was a tandem with my daughter.She told me " I can't believe how calm you were, you looked like you were stepping off a curb instead of out the door of a plane at 14,000 feet ".Yea, on the outside. Inside my stomach was burning and my heart was in my throat. I wasn't really afraid because I figured these guys do this all the time, I'm in good hands. But nervous, oh yea, I looked like such a dork in my video. Jack's asking me questions trying to get excited reactions for the video and I'm so nervous I'm just standing there, yup, nope. I'm sure they won't be using it for a business promotion. Have fun with it Grace, your going to love it. I'm betting you'll be back for more

Here Ya Go!!!

I found my space. I'm in love.

That was the absolute most amazing thing that I've ever experienced other than giving birth to my kids. I have this stupid grin on my face that won't go away.

Crystal and Michelle picked me up this morning from work. We headed to the dropzone (doesn't that sound just awesome). I was nervous, but not scared. Crystal asked me how it felt to know that I was fixing to jump out of a plane. "High...I honestly feel high." I was giddy.

So, we get there and walk past a lot with a few airplanes. That's when it really hit me that one of those planes was going to take me up and *I was going to jump out of it*!

I sit down, sign my life away on a bunch of papers with the word "death" all over them, saying that yes, I understand that skydiving is dangerous and death could occur as a result, yadda yadda. After actually reading to about the third paragraph and the tenth mention of the probabilities for my imminent demise, I finally just started signing and initialing all the lines without even reading. "Yeah, I've been studying this for a long time, I know the risks, and you know what? Reading about them again isn't gonna stop me from doing this, so let's just go."

We start going through the ground school part of it and I realized that all of the studying was paying off. I knew everything that he was telling me. Yay! I still wasn't "scared". This was gonna be cake.

The instructor tells me that I will have a ripcord and he'll signal me when to pull it. He also explains that once we are under canopy, he'll give me the toggles and let me fly it. I wasn't really expecting that. So..umm...Yay again! Then he's telling me a bit about how to steer and makes a comment about "we can flip completely over even if you are up for it". HELLOOO!!!! NOO!! I don't think so! A nice gentle smooth ride would be nice, I think! No fancy stuff, please. Not this time around.

Suit up, pile on all the equipment and we're off! We practice the exit once while the plane is sitting there on the ground. Then, it's time to pile in. There were three of us in there, not counting the pilot. The third skydiver was a paramedic that was just doing a dive for fun that day. The plane takes off and I'm still not scared. It was a nice smooth ride up to altitude for about twenty minutes or so.

Hehheehehe...still not scared.

The instructor looks over everything again, reminds me where the ripcord is again, reminds me of the signal to pull and asks me if I want to pull or if I want him to do it. "I wanna do it!"

10000 feet and the medic yells "door" and *whoosh*. Oh. My. God. Scared. Nothing out there but open space and some ground *way* the hell down there. All this wind is hitting me square in the face and I'm thinking "what the hell am I doing?". I didn't have much time to think. Next thing I knew, the other guy is hanging from the struts and I'm hanging in the door not touching anything but the harness. (Wait! I'm the one that doesn't have a chute!) He said something in my ear that I can't remember and then we are out! You *experienced* people lied. The rollercoaster/elevator feeling hit. I took a couple of really deep breaths and it disappeared.

We were flying. I had to remind myself to breathe. I completely forgot to look at my altimeter. I completely forgot *everything*. It's a good thing someone else was in charge this time because I was running on sensory overload. It was a thirty second free fall that only seemed to take about three seconds. That was the fastest thirty seconds I've ever lived. There was never a feeling of "falling" though. Things on the ground were just getting bigger. We had planned to pull at 5500 and he shook my hand, our signal for me to pull. I hesitated trying to remember what that meant (heheh) and then realized. PULL! I put my hand over the handle and then hesitated again. He put his hand over mine and we pulled it together.

I think I was expected to get jerked or something, but it was nothing like that. We had been falling face down, but at that point, we just gently seemed to stand up straight. It's just like it sounds in the movies..."thwack"...and it felt like we floated up for a few seconds. I heard him shout "it's good!" and let out the breath I had been holding. Such a beautiful sight...

It's incredibly quiet up there. I don't know how to describe that. Just calm...peaceful.

Enough quiet and calm. *grin* I hear him say to me "reach up and put your hands through these loops and hold on. Now, want to try some turns? Pull down hard on the right side." We do and we swing out into this wide curve with the parachute almost seeming to come down beside of us. Yep, in love, right there. "The left!" And we swing in that direction. Then back to right. "Want some more?" "Yes!"

He says "when I tell you to look up and to the left, do it. Look at the parachute. Now pull HARD on the right toggle. I'll help you. Look up!" We yank it down hard and I look up to see my shadow cross over the parachute. We freaking flipped over! Over! The canopy was under us! Amazing! Then, a few more times.

It's deceptive. You don't realize how close to the ground you are getting. He took the toggles back then, said he would take it from there. He brings us down to a nice gentle right on the ass landing, telling me to bring my knees up and "get your feet up!" (which is not so easy in that harness, btw).

And I'm sitting on the ground laughing as everything hits me at once. I just jumped out of a plane almost two miles in the air! I'm on the ground alive! That was the most awesome thing ever! The first words out of my mouth were "I wanna do it again!"

Was already discussing taking lessons with him before I even got up off the ground.

I LIKE this stuff!

*grin*
"Analyze this!"