marianneb

Hi there everyone, finally got the courage to introduce myself. I started skydiving almost 2 years ago and love every moment of it. I am busy with my static line progression and will be doing my 1st 20 sec's unpoised exit f/f this coming Saturday. I am a little bit nervous because I do struggle with stability. Most people tell me it is because I am quite thin (1.75m tall and weigh 49kgs(107.8 pounds). I can't understand how that can influence my stability, I think it must be something I am doing wrong. At this stage I am jumping with a 230 sq ft parachute. Any advice, please, please?

Please don't laugh at my English, I am Afrikaans speaking but I am trying my best.

I'm new myself, so I really don't know what I'm talking about and I certainly don't know how static line works (I went through AFF). However, I'm around that weight, and I don't have a problem with stability. My thoughts are that a rig the size needed to hold a 230 might be sliding off to one side or another because you're so small creating instability. It happened to me in a 170, so they moved me down to a 150. Just my 2¢. I don't mind if someone tells me I'm wrong. ;)

k. bye.

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Hi marianneb, My ex wife and jumping partner (one in the same) is Afrikaans, she too is very thin and tall. She has no trouble on her stability. Ask your instructor what he/she thinks. If that doesn't work, My advice is go to Nandos or Mcdonalds and Biggie size it:) I will be jumping in Carletonville in Feb outside Joberg. I am going to see my second grandson and then we are going to jump in Capetown. Good luck on your jump, Blue skies.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Yes, it will be the firs time, He will be born in Feb and i will be there early March. I actually cant wait to see him and His mom. I know one other person who jumps at Careltonville, Luke Botha, i dont know how often he goes but just thought maybe you might know him.
I really like Nandos, but i must say i like Carniviors very much also. Congrats to the Sprigboks too!
I will look you up when i get to Carltonville.

Congrats to you, I'll buy you a beer when i get there. I enjoy my time in S.A. always. Did you downsize your rig? I am in Texas jumping this weekend. The off to Perris Valley California to jump the Jet. Save me some Biltong!

I won't forget your promise about the beer and I will definitely save you some "biltong". The safety instructor wanted me to jump the 200 but the only one the club has is a "throwout" and I am still on ripcord, but I am getting there.

Enjoy your jumps, I am actually jealous because I can only jump in 2 weeks time again.

Hey Nikki and Marianneb,
This is what it looks like out of my window. Both of you are somewhere warm. Its time to bust out the snowmobiles and hit the trails. I hope this post works, i dont know if i am putting these pics in correctly.
[/url][IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg102/galvar2439/snow004.jpg[/IMG][url]

Hi, thanks for your post. Couldn't open the pic's, and I really want to see your pictures. Can you perhaps email them? Had my last jump for this year Saturday, was f/f through a very thick cloud and that was great but cold.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and lots and lots of jumps in the new year.

Marianne

Somewhere warm??? ha!!! This past Sunday at the DZ, I slipped and fell on the ice going into the hangar...not once...but twice!!! The windsock was frozen to the pole too. :P At least I got to jump this weekend though. The skies and winds were great FINALLY. I finally had to stop after only 4 jumps though because the skin around my mouth was turning blue.

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Wind sock frozen! My socks are frozen to my feet! We are trying to jump here New Years day! It is currently -3 and we are expecting it to warm up to 25 new years day. A freakin heat wave!

Hi, and thanks for fixing the link. Now that looks really COLD but beautiful as well. In SA we are not used to sights like that although we had one day of snow last winter and it was the first time my children had seen snow and their ages range from 18 to 23!

Blue Skies

I was glad to help out. Yes, snow is really pretty, especially when it's something you don't see often. I lived for about 10 years in the mountains of Idaho here where we had snow from November through April most ears. It really isn't much fun to drive in or to shovel off your driveway and sidewalks. How is the jumping going? I did my first tandem jump in October and I've done my first 2 AFF jumps. The weather hasn't been cooperating very well. :)

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

It is going great with the jumping and I am enjoying it tremendously. I had to wait until I was 45 to start (money and raising children as you know) but it was worth the wait.

Our dropzone is closed until 12th January 2008 and I am going on holiday tomorrow and can't wait to get out of the office, still another 30 minutes!

Have a great Christmas and hope to hear from you again. Keep on jumping en ENJOY!

Blue Skies

Marianne

I wish I'd started at 42. I'm 57 and just getting going, at least when the weather and other stuff cooperates with me. I teach and I'm on our winter break right now, so it's a little frustrating to not be able to get more jumps in. Merry Christmas.

Blues, Pat
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Hi, My ex wife and her daughter woke up to the first snow they had ever seen and ran out and played in it for a few seconds before they realized just how cold it is, It was the first time they had seen snow in real life. After a few days of the non stop snow and below zero weather they had had enough and i came home one day and found them curled up together on the couch under the two blankets and they were crying they wanted to go back home to S.A.
Thier first winter ever was one of the coldest on record in Michigan, we are right in the snow belt. They did not believe your snot would freeze, your hair would freeze. I just loved the looks on thier faces when they would discover another winter myth busted! First time i had to buy two winter parkas per person, the correct size and then a bigger one to go over that one.

Hi there, back from holiday (didn't really want to come back, but if you want to skydive I guess you have to work or marry a millionaire). I think if you are used to Africa's weather it is not going to be easy to get used to such extreme cold. I especially enjoyed the part of the frozen snot and hair, does it really, really happen?

Can't wait for this coming weekend because our dropzone opens for 2008 and I can jump again. I even dreamed I was skydiving last night, but have you ever tried to pull a ripcord while you dreaming?

Blue skies