slingerapie

New dutch skydiver....

Hi there all,

Have been around here a bit longer just to read, but thougt it would be nice to do an introduction by now :)My name is Illona and I am from the Netherlands. I do my skydiving @ Paraclub Flevo, wich you can find in the middle of our small country near Lelystad.

I did my static line course in august. After "only" 14 SL jumps I got to do my first hop&pop... wich was dramatically unstable... after that I had some more nice unstable exits.... Thought that I would never learn to do a proper exit. ( we fly a Cessna 206t, sitting exits) Only on my 5th attempt on 10 sec freefall I got the hang of it. (this was jump 21)

I was glad to read here and hear from other that I wasn't the only one having problems with exits B|

I jump as much as I can, we had some good weather the past 2 weekends, hope that it will continue a bit...

About myself.... I am a registered nurse, currently working at the ER of a medium regional hospital. I live with my boyfriend, our 3 dogs and 2 cats.
If you want to see some pics check my site www.aussieaction.nl/gallery

ARe there more dutch skydivers here?

Greetzzzzz
Illona
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

Thanks for the welcome :)
I don't know if AFF would have been easier. You still have to learn to exit the plane stable. That was my biggest issue. I saw other ways of SL exits, but from different types of aircrafts. Think we don't have the easiest way. But still, some manage to do their first hop&pop within the 8 jumps of SL training.

At my DZ they don't do AFF, and because I live real close to the DZ (like a ten minute drive) and the higher costs for AFF I thought SL would do perfectly fine for me :)
Last weekend I was doing my first freefall from 6000ft and opening on 3000.... Wow that was awesome !! B|

Heey, glad that your enjoying it! Wait until your first drop at 13000 feet, it will be even more fun :p

Greetings from Belgium
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Can't wait to take that jump! Not sure when I'm 'allowed" to go up that high though. On my list for my A licence the highest is 6000ft... And now with winter coming guess here in the Netherlands it's too cold to go up there during winter.... B|

How is jumping in Belgium? Not that far a drive for a short visit sometime... LOL

Its great here! A lot cheaper then in the netherlands :) We got a lot of dutch jumpers who jump in belgium just because its cheaper and closer. Mostly they come from maastricht, sittard, eindhoven...
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

I don't usualy post to this forum, but can't have just "Belgen" reply to this now can we... :P

Hello Ilona, and welcome to the forums.

The secret to jumping in the cold season is wearing a lot of thin layers, or just some old skiing garments under your overalls.
Not sure exctly when you'll be allowed to go High, but the heights on the A-license card are *minimum* heights. So it all depends on your general progress :)

But "clear and pulls" from 6000 are loads of fun too, and they'll allow you to work on your canopy skills - which you'll need for your A as well.

Just get out there, and have fun, that's the most important thing.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Thanks for the tips :)
Right now I am wearing an undersuit wich I normally use in summer under my drysuit for scuba diving.
But think it's too cold in the winter.
I also hope to have my "official' jumping overall in a few weeks... LOL.

My highest jump has been a 10 sec freefall from 6500 ft, so I was open at about 5300... Had a long time for canopy practice LOL. Longest freefall up till now 22 sec.... WOW !!

Hope to start on my turns during FF this weekend!

Where are you jumping Baksteen?

11/1/07
Wow!
Not only a jumper, but an RN as well.
(Both of those impress me.)
Your home is only a short distance
from the Schiphol Airport (jumping
off point to many historical places
in that part of the world) Reading
your post gave me a 'smile' thinking
about your beautiful country...thanks.
Don't forget to double glove in the ER.
(Your English is very good!)
grace, peace & blue skies
sep

I jump right next door - in Hilversum :)
The forecasts for the weekend unfortunately are not superb, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - and for myself obviously. ;)

>
All of the Netherlands is close to Schiphol, dude!
A mixed blessing at best...

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Maybe I'll see you IRL then one day Baksteen :)But I'll wait with jumping on other DZ's till I'm at least done with my A license and maybe have my own rig. (in about a 1000 yr I guess haha)

Maybe if we both keep our fingers crossed they can squeeze out a few loads this weekend haha. Rainforecast is good, but clouds are probably gonna be too low :(

Skyjump11, as Baksteen said... everything is close to schiphol haha. Thanks for the compliments B|
(mother grew up in Canada, and when I was about 14yr old we had a couple of Americans stay with us for about 4 months. Never had any trouble with English before they came, but afterwards was even better... LOL)

Blue Skies this weekend !! (still keeping fingers crossed!!!)

Illona