lince

waiting waiting waiting

Hey everybody, I've been easedropping on you all for a little while, :$I have yet to take my first jump and since I live in NE Ohio it will still be some time before I get to. I've wanted to skydive since high school but redundancy, responsibility and a no-fun, now ex-husband:), and the first time experiences, safety precautions, what to do and when to do it, when not to do it. I know there is still so much to learn and I want to thank everybody for posting the things you do, I know I'll be just as hooked as all of you are ;)and I'm so looking forward to my first jump, but the waiting is driving me crazy!!!:P
I'm also a little torn between doing a tandum or a static jump first. My first thought was static but it seems most people start with the tandum.:S.

Saving up for the beer, any suggestions on brands?

i only have one tandem jump...but leaping on what skymama posted....there is alot you have to do. I didnt realise how much skill is require with the sport of skydiving..and i havent even made my first solo or aff jump. i would say tandem so you get a feel for how everything is set up. additionally you get a brief tesson in tandem control and flaring too. i think if i would have done it myself for the first time i would have been extremely nervous and prolly messed something up. Go tandem for the first then do the aff course if you fall in love with it as i and numerous other people do on a daily basis, then you can fun jump all ya want!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

well i made my first AFF jump yesterday .. NO tandem NO static line. i wouldn't rather have done it any other way!

Dont forget...you did the ground course first where they teach you the basics...you didnt jump without it B| at least tandem givee you a basic feel...at least it did for me. So when i start AFF i somewhat feel more confident...rather then being shown on the ground without knowing what freefall feels like. Just my $.02
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

well i made my first AFF jump yesterday .. NO tandem NO static line. i wouldn't rather have done it any other way!

My first jump was a tandem. I was fully expecting to get a really good fear/adrenaline rush. I would not say I was disappointed, but I did not get the rush I expected to get. The training for the tandem was bare minimum. The freefall was cool and we did 360's right and left. I did a lot of looking down and at the camera. I did get to pull which was cool. On canopy, I got to do a right and left turn and a flare.
I am sure the reason for the lack of real rush was that I had a trust in the TI and I really approached it like a big roller coaster ride.
My next jump was AFF. 6 hours of ground school, practice in a training harness and the AFF dive flow. It was all really a LOT of information. As it turned out, I did not get to jump until the next day which I think was a good thing and gave me plenty of time to review and practice that night.
The next morning, 20 question review and back in the training harness. Everything went great. The jump is where I did actually get the fear/adrenaline rush I had expected from the tandem. The ride on the canopy by myself was both peaceful and exciting.
I know I got a little long winded here, but I would still recommend the tandem. If you want to continue, go AFF.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I don't who to reply to...it was so cool to get the input from everybody. The one benefit of tandem that I forgot about is you start so much higher and as RB mentioned I could get a chance to pull. The sensory overload was another concideration I had too. What a trip it's going to be, I think I'll just enjoy the ride the first time and go tandem. Thanks for the info from Spdu4ia, you got alot guts, but I think the first time I hurl myself at the big dirt ball I want to have tad bit more confidence.

Thanks everybody!!

Hey Lince -

Welcome to the forums!

I have only 6 jumps so far, but I can tell you that static line is a blast! Granted, we have to work our way up to higher altitudes, so we essentially have to earn the freefall that you'd get from a tandem or AFF jump. But you'll get a rush out of leaving a plane in flight no matter how you do it, I can assure you.

My decision to go static line was driven by the desire to fly solo, and to become a licenced skydiver. If I had thought I'd only jump once, I probably would have done a tandem instead, as AFF wasn't really an option at the time. My static line First Jump Course (gear and lift ticket included) cost less than a tandem jump, so it also made good economic sense to me. Be sure to visit a couple of DZs if you can, not only to compare prices and facilities, but also to get a "vibe" you're comfortable with. (sorry about the preposition!)

Also, different DZs have varying rules concerning beer - for instance, at my DZ, students are not subject to beer rules until graduation (according to my instructors.)

Here's a phrase that you'll want to memorize: "When in doubt, talk to your instructors."
You will see and hear it often. It is good.

Let us know how it goes, and HAVE FUN!

Big Blue WARM Skies,

El Gato
T.I.N.S.

Only you will know when the time is right.
Recently, we had an 85 year old woman make a
tandem jump...she had always wanted to do it
and she finally did. As with her, and so it will be with
you, the most dangerous part of the day you
jump from the airplane will be your automobile drive
out and the drive back....and that's a fact.
grace, peace & blue skies

Hey El Gato
Thanks for the input. I know skydiving is the thing for me that's why I figured on the static at first and it was great to get your input. It's so cool to watch the more experienced jumpers and the crazy things they do at SkydivingMovies. I know that's where I want to be and the tandem seemed to hold it back a little longer. I'm not too far from a DZ that offers a virtual experience so I might just get that for my Christmas gift to myself.

One things for sure skyjump11, I'M NOT WAITING TIL I'M 85!! and it is a funny thing 'cause I started driving a little more carefully so I don't miss out.

Spdu4ia, I know where you're coming from on the experience and info. Different DZs seem to offer a range of info on the static and tandem jumps. And I really do admire your choice, but I am just so excited about my first jump and I don't want to end up on the incidence forum as "we don't know why she didn't pull". I'm still a little torn between the static and tandem. I'm so glad I got the response I have. One (misquoted) quote that sticks in my mind, it may have been a moderator, but they said the inexperienced jumpers are jumping while the experienced jumpers are on the ground waiting for the winds to die down. That was badly misquoted but the same essence. I know there's a lot to learn.

I will check with them on the beer too!

Thanks everybody!!! I look forward to learning more.

Lince

hi lince!

i did my first tandem for my 31st birthday, then waited 9 years to do my second tandem. 3 years later, i started my aff course. i'm in a similar climatic situation as you - i live in new hampshire - so my last jump was awhile ago. i'm not all that familiar with static line jumps but i'd certainly recommend doing a tandem first.

i don't know how old your boys are - my kids are 20, 17 and 14 - and they think i'm the coolest mom since carol brady :)
let us know what you end up doing!

Hey chaosreins,

It's almost a ditto on the kids, 22, 21, 18, and 14. I know they'll just think it's another one of mom's crazy ideas. I've never been one not to try and embarass them by my 'childish' behavior. :D:D All kidding aside, I'm hoping they'll all be there for my first jump. I keep flipping back and forth b/c I know I'll never get another first jump, but tandem does seem to be winning out. It sounds like everyone has a great experience with it, and that's what I'm after.

Will I jump or hug the plane???? There's a hilarious video of a woman screaming I fuckin' hate you as her instructor approaches the door:D:D. This is such a great sport and I'm looking forward to diving in..

My first jump was IAD from 4000 ft.....talk about taking your breath away. I would continue to talk with people and get some ideas on the different options available. My fiance's first jump was a tandem. Now we get to play together which has been a kick. Good luck in finding your method of jumping. I am sure that you will love it.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Congrats on the AFF....saw your website on myspace...love your pics. You can find me there as well. Welcome to the jump world.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Okay, what's IAD? Skydive Terminology was no help. That is so cool the your fiance is jumping too. My boyfriend has been jumping for about six years but a good friend of his had a fatal bounce and he always seemed reluctant to talk to me about skydiving. I always thought it would be so great to skydive with him and kind of felt like I was going behind his back by checking into it, but this weekend we had a really great talk about it and we're really looking forward to this spring. And I'm so looking forward to finally having a profile:)

Instructor Assisted Deployment.
Quote from the 2007 SIM:
"INSTRUCTOR-ASSISTED DEPLOYMENT (IAD): A method of passive deployment used for training skydiving students making their initial jumps. A USPA IAD Instructor controls a hand-deployed pilot chute while a student moves into position and jumps, at which point the instructor releases the pilot chute."
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley