baycat

First Jump, Very Fun!

I completed my first jump this weekend, and boy did it take some restrain not to run back to the plane and jump again. Think my checking account was the one holding me back! ;)

Ended up doing a 30K static line jump. Or we can pretend I really did a 15K tandem, 70 sec free fall, nice 5 minute canopy ride to the DZ. Ended up succesfully pulling my parachute at around 5.5K and passed my first category of AAF training. So now probably going to go through all the other stages!

It was incredible. I thought I would be scared and would try to close my eyes or not look out upon exiting the plane. But I was very anxious to jump and loved every minute of it. Think the tingling sensation and perma-grin lasted a good two hours, then I was very tired.

The plane ride up was fun, watching your altimetere climb and make a pass around the 0 :o! And then it was not real until someone jumped out. Then it was a reality. What suprised me was that people were just sucked out of the plane and it was a complete floating sensation.

So...

IS the time commitment long and hard to get certifieid to solo skydive?

How does one learn all the equipment techniques, like packing a chute?

Thanks!

Right on, each jump just keeps getting better and better. AFF and solo skydiving is a lot of fun, and at most places it's only about 7 or 8 jumps. It does take some money and a little time, but it's worth it. You're better off jumping as much and often as you can afford, so it stays fresh in your mind.

The people didn't really get sucked out of a non-pressurized jump plane. I sit right next to the open door all the time. Once you're outside the door though, you can feel the force of the wind pushing you back towards the tail of the plane.

You'll learn more about the gear during the first jump course and as you proceed through AFF. Most places offer a packing course you can take that lasts a few hours, and you can always ask other jumpers any questions you have.

Have fun.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Welcome to the forums! :)Here is a good link to help you get started. There are a lot of steps to packing, but it's not rocket science. If you're able to follow directions you can do it. Getting it to fit into the bag is the hardest part!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon