JumpOnJoe

Looking for jumpers

Hi, welcome to the forums. Looks like you're not too far from crosskeys, have you been there? From what I hear it's a great DZ-plenty of people to play with. With the end of the season approaching, they'll probably be flyin on weekends. I work in Manasquan, but havent been to SDJersey Shore yet, something about lack of turbines, I hate to wait.
Blue Skies
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Being very new to all of this I have not had a chance to experience other DZ's yet. I am still in AFF and have been trying to jump as much as possible. As you know the weather is not always cooperative. My level 3 & 4 jumps are scheduled for Wednesday. I work in AC so CrossKeys would not be a bad drive from work. I like the staff at SDJS.
Every time I look up, I wish I was on my way down.

Good luck today Joe. I've only been to Skydive Sussex (where I started last fall) and the Ranch in NY. The staff was great at Sussex and the people at the Ranch kick ass. If you're ever in the mood for a road trip, try the ranch. Their AFF jumps were much cheaper than I've found at other places ($138 each till you're cleared for solos which are 45 each includes gear). Looks like the weather is great for jumping today, damn i'm jealous!
-Crusty Old Pete

I made my level 3 jump on Wednesday and it went pretty well. I started to turn hard to the left when the JM let me go. I think I was trying to pull my arm down to my head to look at my alti. Once I figured this out it was time to lock on and pull. It still seems to be uncomfortable when the JM is inside the plane on the jump. I have less of a problem with stability when he is on the strut. I know I will figure it out sooner or later. I hope to do level 4 on Sunday....if the weather is good.

Hey Joe,
Nice to hear you got to get a jump in, looks like Sunday is going to be the best day of this weekend too. Did the instructor give you any input to the cause of your turn? Sometimes legs and feet can cause turns-toe taps cured my girlfriend of that during her training. She still has a slight tendency to turn when we jump together. I was also told by my instructor to move my arms independently of my torso (easier said than done, but is similar to paddling out on a surfboard). Remember that the SIM and, more importantly, your instructors (especially a good jump debrief) are THE sources of info.

On another note, do you know a blond, upbeat girl named Betsy? She jumps at the ranch now, but is from SDJS.
Good luck on Sunday!
-Crusty Old Pete

Thanks for the advice on the legs. My JM said I needed to get my legs "in tune" with my jump. He explained that my legs were a little wild and gave me a few ground excercise to do for muscle memory. I'm not going to give up I will keep jumping until I get it right, even if does cost me a fortiune.
I don't know Betsy.....sorry.

Don't beat yourself up if you're not doing everything perfect all the time. Some of the most skilled instructors at my DZ had to redo an AFF level or two! Keep learning, keep trying, it will click at some point..
Blue Skies
-Crusty Old Pete