afraidofheights

My first skydive next month

Often the fear of heights comes from the fact that you have a reference point (the ground or a building) that gives you the sense of being up high. Because once you leave the plane you have no reference point close by, just the beautiful blue sky, a person that is afraid of heights often doesn't have the same reaction. Have fun with your friends.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Welcome! You are going to love it! I'm defiantly afraid of airplane but opened my big drunk mouth when my aunt asked what we shoulddo to celebrate our birthday's last September (her 45th, my 30th).

I will tell you that the absolute worst part of my first jump was when the door opened. Then I jumped and didn't think about the door opening thing until my JM yelled "Door?" on my second jump. Two tandems and 20 solo jumps (and counting) later, I love it when the door flies open! It means time to jump!

HAVE FUN!

Welcome to the forums! :)

As far as your fear of heights, my best friend had that problem too but made herself go on a tandem. She was really sacred, but she ended up loving it too. The hardest part really is seeing how high you are up when you get to the door. Just relax and don't think about it. Enjoy!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for all the encouragment! I hope it goes as smooth for me as you all say :) Skymama, I'm not sure what you're asking, but here goes. My friend called this place and talked to them about doing a first jump. They sent him a little brochure in the mail. They told him it would cost $175 per person for tandem jump. They said usual price is $195. I believe their website says $150, but not sure. I think getting the video of it is extra too.

Unfortunately, this dropzone is known for deceptive business practices, mostly concerning tandems. If you do a search on the forums for "Skyride", you'll learn what I am talking about. In the past, they've had hidden charges for things that other dropzones don't charge for like tandem rental equipment, they'll tell you one price on the phone and charge you another or they won't refund your money if you can't jump because of weather. Skydivers and the USPA have tried hard to shut them down to no avail yet.

If you haven't given them any money yet, we can tell you other dropzones to go to. If you have given them money, then please read up on the threads a little bit so you can be aware of any scams they might try to get more money out of you. With any luck, they've become more honest because of the uproar and you won't have to worry about it.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you haven't given them any money or a credit card, talk to skymama and she'll give you a dropzone to go to...most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

Check this out:

http://www.makeithappen.com/jumps/review/cedartown.html
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

There do seem to be positive reviews in the dropzone listings (Have you clicked on the link at the top of the page?), but I can't think of anyone here who has mentioned jumping there lately. One drawback I see is that they have small planes to drop out of. Most of the dz's here in FL have big planes though, so maybe I'm just a plane snob. ;)

Are you close to Thomaston, GA? I have been to that dropzone a few times and have enjoyed myself and they have nice facilities and a very fast, pimped out plane. There are quite a few people here who jump there also.

--we'll probably go to the one in Knoxville because it's a lot closer.--

If you are referring to the one in Knoxville, It is Skydive Smoky Mountains. They are definitely legit!

There # is listed on this site under Dropzones.

They will give you an excact price, and you DO NOT PAY untill after you jump, no rental fees, the harness, the rig, the goggles, the jump suit, and hell, they even throw in the tandem master for free!

If you want more info send me a message. OH, and BTW where are you from????

Blue Skies!
Alan
"Don't keep your pilot chute a secret"

Me and some friends from work are going skydiving next month in cedartown, georgia. It's on july 2nd at 12 noon. My main reason for going is to try and overcome my fear of heights. Also, I've never flown in a plane before either, so I'll be getting two for the price of one :)

Heheh. Well it was told to me that it takes more courage to make the decision to stay on the plane rather than jumping. If you have a good tandem master they'll help you relax a bit before the exit.

Fear of heights, as someone else said your sense of depth perception is bluffed at 13,000ft so its a bit different.

Let us know how it goes.