Zagor

almost started but then...

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum, although I have been visiting dropzone.com for a long time.
Two years ago I started reading documents about skydiving and then I decided to do a tandem jump.
People around me were quite scared when I told them about it, but I did it anyway and it was great!
Since then, I kept on thinking about flying and about how I would like to do it on my own, instead of being attached to an instructor.
Last month I decided I would take the AFF course, so I obtained all necessary documentation (medical fitness, authorisations, etc.) but... while driving to the dropzone, I started slowing down on my accelerator... I was not sure I wanted to do it anylonger. Then I went back home...
Sure I like flying, and I'm not too scared from heights to the point of not wanting to jump.
What actually makes me doubt is the possibility of a parachute malfunction.
I know statistics say that skydiving is quite safe and that accidents are more often caused by human error than rig malfunction. But there also is a component of chance in the opening of a parachute. So, even if you have a perfect rig and make perfect procedures, you cannot be sure you 're not going to have a mulfunction.
And I know, you always have a reserve parachute.
But also the reserve parachute follows the same rules.
Indeed there is an ineliminable component of chance in skydiving.
What do you think about this?
Zagor.

Hey Zagor!

I did a tandem jump then a static line jump and am now going to do the AFF course.
When I arrived at the DZ to start my training for the static line jump I had some of the thoughts that you spoke about, malfunctions etc.
However, I thought that I should at least do the training then see how I felt about it all.
Through the ground training there was a lot of information to take in, but after learning and becoming informed, and doing a lot of practice on my emergency procedures, I felt ready to jump.

Sometimes it's the lack of knowledge about what we're doing that makes us scared of the unknown.
Of course as Skymama says, skydiving is a sport that has its dangers too.

Blue skies,
Kate
:ph34r:

You know maybe right now isn't the time for you to get started, Maybe it will be next week or a few years from now. Whatever you decide make sure you do it for the right reasons and understand the risks. Personally I have only made a few jumps and I know this something I am destine to continue. Do to certain family issues that have arose in the last year and a half I have put it on hold. There is no rush or time limit. Hang out and enjoy the forums and keep us posted on what you decide.

B|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

So...you let off of the accelerator and went back home, eh? I'd be surprised if a lot of people didn't do that. AFF Level I has got to be one of the scariest things the human body, mind & spirit can go through. My AFF Level I course took pretty much the whole day, and my skin just got progressively whiter and whiter as the day went on. But oh, what a rush! Definitely life-changing for me.

Advice that I often see given by hot-shots to newbies who are dealing with fear issues is to go to the DZ and just hang out. Watch other people land, mingle around, hit on women (heheh, j/k), ask questions...if your DZ is anything like mine is, then everyone will be glad to explain or teach anything to you.

Then you have no reason to let up on the accelerator. :)
"DOOR!!!"

Oh man... I feel for you.

I did my AFF just a week ago, and getting past level 1 really is a terror filled experience... but well worth it.

To address your particular questioning... the way I handle those kinda of questions... yes there is a risk that my parachute could fail. There is a risk, no matter how small, that the reserve could fail too. Or, the car I'm in heading the DZ might be involved in a crash. Or I could choke on my breakfast that morning and never even get to the car... etc... every day we do a million things and everything we do carries risk... we can be hurt or killed doing almost anything you can imagine.

As i see it, the only difference in skydiving is that its such a visible risk.

But without that, would it be as much fun?

Whether you're prepared to take the risk is a totally personal choice, nobody can make it for you, but I hope that my perspective will at least give you something to think about.

Good luck mate, whatever you choose.

oh boy....this sounds familiar. I started lessons 2 years ago...had some medical issues arise and then decided that before I actually did the lessons that maybe I should do a tandem to see if I really liked jumping. On my first tandem, my fiance had some problems -- he had just gotten off student status--- pulled low. He didn't get hurt, but i really had a hard time enjoying my jump when he was having visible problems below me. My 2nd tandem came and went....i still wasn't sure. On my last tandem, I landed and knew that I wanted to take lessons. The bug had bitten me. However, it was the end of the season and I didn't want to start lessons and go through the winter without being able to jump....
I start lessons in one week, and I ask myself the same questions that you are asking yourself. I am an ER nurse by trade and have come to the conclusion that life is too short - and that you should live life to the absolute fullest....whatever that entails to each individual. I don't want to live my life wanting to do something and never doing it. Sooooo.....I am starting to jump and am going to complete the classes and go from there. I have spent the last two years hanging out at the drop zone and love it there. Whatever conclusion you come to, I wish you luck in your adventures
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!