2sick2jump

Can't Jump

My best friend is a jumper so I get to hear all about skydiving. He brings me pics and vids. I can't jump because of dialysis graft and blood thinners (artificial heart valve). I can't usually go to any of the dz's because I am too nauseas to drive.

I have almost died many times in the last few years. I almost bled to death in January.

I just wanted to say. I am so happy you all are living your lives. I think the quote I like best is "Skydivers don't jump to escape life, they jump to keep life from escaping." sums it up.

I get to jump vicariously but really wish I was up there with you. I am told it is an experience like no other and the skydivers are some of the nicest people in the world.

I just wanted to thank you for doing what you do. My friend, saved my life a few times, does his best to keep me involved in skydiving. It brings me much joy to see the pics and vids and to hear the stories.

Be Safe and blue Skies,

Melissa

Hey Melissa, I'm sorry to hear that you can't jump, being that ill must suck :( I'm glad that you're still enjoying hearing and watching about skydiving. Personally, I started a couple of years ago. After managing 11 static line jumps over about 8 years, including 4 on round (aeroconical) canopies :D I finally bit the bullter and took an AFF course and I really haven't looked back. Sometimes life gets a little busy, but I still come back and now I'm training up with a 4 way FS team and planning to compete at Intermediate level at the British Nationals this summer. Just the thought of jumping out of a plane puts a grin on my face.

I hope you keep listening to the war stories and watching vids for many years to come.

Blues to you too

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

I just wanted to do 1 tandem a few years ago, I think I was having a mid-life crisis. I like it so much, I just kept coming back for more!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I always wanted to jump, I guess it was knowing that my body was completely free while in the air.

I went to make my first tandem, got rained out, so decided to do AFF instead.

As soon as I landed my first jump, I was ready to jump again and it has been in my mind since. Can't wait to do my next jump now.

Hi Melissa,

I started jumping at Z-Hills last August. I went up to get my best friend some info to do a tandem, and I instantly was drawn to the culture and people. She loved it to, but had to move away. I signed up for my A license and haven't looked back since. My life has changed and the forties are a heck of a lot more exciting than I ever thought they could be! I've made some good friends and look forward to meeting you if you get to stop by.

Robert

Edited to add...My Harley's name is Melissa too! B|

I am very sorry to hear you are sick. I guess we all have to play the cards we are dealt and you are doing fine with yours. You are looking for joy within the limitations you are given and trust me we all have them one way or the other. I started jumping because I always liked the speed. I stopped rally racing when I decided to have kids, but never stopped liking the feeling of rush. One day, at my grandpa's funeral I saw a tombstone with engraved parachutist (a young girl died skydiving, how sad!) and I thought was born. "I could try that!" Many years later I did it....but my first jump was an IAD jump, an instructor deploying for me and there was lots of adrenaline rush, but no speed (no freefall) and SILENCE under the canopy. I got down and I could go up again immediately. I was hooked... Jumping is passion, love, happiness for me and I hope everybody finds something in life that will make them as happy and fullfilled as skydiving makes me.
I hope your health improves soon...
PS. Have you ever thought of rock clibming? It is lots of fun too...

Melissa,
I'll do a jump just for you sometime soon. And I'll upload the video to you! I wish you could jump as well!!!

On my 18th birthday I wanted to do a tandem (just to say I did it) and never got around to it until my 19th birthday. Once I did it I was instantly hooked!!! Money issues made me take a 4 year break after my 38th jump though.

Blue Skies Melissa,

Chad
Convo between my friend and his ex...
Nick - "Chad talked me into skydiving."
Her - "I thought you didn't like extreme sports"
Nick - "Dating you WAS an extreme sport."

Melissa,

I always wanted to jump because my dad was a paratrooper. I used to jump off the garage roof as a kid. In m early 20's I did my AFF in Elsinore, then ran out of money, moved, etc.

Last year I took it up again (now that I can afford it) and have been going every time the weather cooperates (yay spring).

Any one of us might have something pop up that stops us jumping. I'm glad you reminded us that we are lucky and shouldn't forget it.

Take care and blue skies.;)
A mind is like a parachute- mine is badly packed and may not work

"I am told it is an experience like no other and the skydivers are some of the nicest people in the world. "

I haven't even skydived yet and I already know that skydivers are some of the nicest people in the world. I have never been to a forum on the internet with this almost complete lack of flamewars. It's nice! The people at the drop zone when I called to schedule my jump were SUPER nice and immediately were enthusiastic about my jump
I'm sorry to hear that you can't jump. At least you have your good friends to share the experience with you as much as they can!

Guest 1010
Hi Melissa

growing up in NorCal I daydreamed about body-flying off the top of Mt. Diablo down into my front yerd, so its always been an interest, that I finally acted on a couple years ago because I wasn't getting any younger.

I'm sorry you are sick, hope things go better for you in the coming years, and yes I am an organ donor - if I don't need them any more someone else might as well use 'em. :)
do check out Skydiving Movies that site is waaaaaaay cool

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

if I might ask, why did everyone start jumping?

My wife and I took our first jump (tandems) about three years ago (skydiveatlanta.) No real reason...just one of those things we thought had to be done. We were both hooked.

A couple weeks later, took the static line course. She hurt her shoulder on her first solo jump and hasn't been able to come back...BUT...definately wants to do another tandem. I have about 45 jumps and do it as the cash flow allows.

I'm sorry for your situation and envious of the obviously close and committed friend(s) you have. You have a treasure in that and so do they (if you weren't someone very special, they wouldn't do what they do.)

Best of health and Blue Skies!
I LOVE jumping clouds, but jumping triples takes most of my time (and $$$)!