Stevehend15

New to Skydiving....

New to this sport.... Just finished my AFF (which included 2 18k jumps and one sunset load) and am excited about getting my class A. Just wanted to say Hi and would like any suggestions on good gear... I went ahead and got a BH helmet and Alti-Galaxy. I want some good used gear and not sure on which canopy is good for me... Im about 155 and 5'8''.

Thanks, Steve

Welcome Steve!

I'm new to this wonderful sport myself. I too started buying gear right away. The alti, the helmet, the jump suit, and when I hit my 25 jumps, I bought a complete used rig from Dave at the Sunshine Factory in Z-Hills.

Dave gave me some excellent advice and helped me pick out a rig and canopy. Before deciding on a canopy type and size, we went through and reviewed what I had been jumping and how my landings were. I got a 190 which was a little bigger than I anticipated, but I'm glad that I did. Even though I'm now ready for a down size, I needed the extra time to learn on a size that I was comfortable (able to land consistantly without killing myself) with.

Talk with your instructors, and Dave if you get a chance. Listen to the experts...

Owning your own gear kicks ass!

I have been jumpind a 200 for my last few and about 75% of the time I land standing up..... the other 25% are sliding 50 feet on my knees. I was told to look for a 170.... I had found something that I liked on the classifieds that I really liked. It was an Icon with a Super-Raven 181 reserve, Cypress with 2 years left, and a sabre 170 main. I wanted to sell the main and put a Triathlon 175 in it. The rig cost 2000 and the Tri cost 1000 with no jumps on it. BUT NOW THE ADD IS GONE! Is there anything I can do to try and get his info? Thanks for the feedback.

If the ad is gone, I would presume the rig isn't for sale anymore. I don't think there's any way you can find out who it was.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Brand new to skydiving myself. Just joined the forums, didn't want to start a brand new thread. Just passed my second of 3 tandem jumps, next jump two weeks from this past Sunday, the 23rd.

Any suggestions on how to get started here on the forums? Any places I should look for good advice while I'm in training?
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Thanks bud. Just a small update. I've got my Tandem-3 on Sunday the 23rd of April. Oddly enough, I've been putting everything and more into this. Just under 2 weeks now from the jump, I've already memorized the dive flow. I've repeated it at least twice everyday while refining my body position on the floor of my bedroom. I've never been more serious about anything.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Well, my jump on the 23rd turned out to be a jump on the 30th. Rain sucks.

As for the jump, I had some stability problems in freefall, and missed the ripcord on the first attempt, but otherwise it went alright. My TI passed me on to IAF Level 4 after I take my ground course on Saturday. No more 180 lb. monkey strapped to my ass. LOL

Hiya Dave! Who'd you go up on your T3 with? I was at the Ranch all day Saturday and half of Sunday jumping my ass off so I could finally get my A. Do you happen to know who is going to be doing your FJC on Saturday?

Anyway, being a new graduate from the Ranch, I'll probably be around on the student side every now and then, since that is where I know people right now. I'm sure I'll see you around. Good Luck!!!

Ginger

Hiya Dave! Who'd you go up on your T3 with? I was at the Ranch all day Saturday and half of Sunday jumping my ass off so I could finally get my A. Do you happen to know who is going to be doing your FJC on Saturday?

Anyway, being a new graduate from the Ranch, I'll probably be around on the student side every now and then, since that is where I know people right now. I'm sure I'll see you around. Good Luck!!!

Ginger

Hey there Ginger. So you're a recent student graduate at the Ranch. That's good, now I know someone there. I jumped with Linetwist at dead noon, he just got back a few days ago from some kind of trip. I actually don't know who will be running my FJC, they never said anything.

So I'll be there bright and early Saturday morning at 8, hopefully we run into each other. I'll be wearing my standard workout gear, a pair of black nylon mesh pants and a green and black fitness shirt.

Dave

Yuck. Well, we'll definitely have to keep in touch, and start doing jumps together once I pass my IAF 13. I could use jumps with other more experienced jumpers to get closer to my A license. Let me know. :)