joshm

Question about AFF

Ah yes, the "pucker factor". Most familiar with this. :-)

If I do a couple of jumps in a row on the same day, it's definately easier. First jump is always worst.

It usually helps a bit if there's first-jump SL students on the plane with me who're more scared than me. Then I feel much better. :-)

Would be cool to wear one of those pulse-meter logging watch thingies fit people use. Then see what the graph looks like and label the peaks, 'getting on the plane', 'door open', 'getting out of the plane' etc. :-) Someone must've done this already.

G. :-)

Ever hear of the pucker factor?
That's where you're so scared your asshole puckers up real tight.

On a scale of 1-10, my first jump (static line '77) had a pucker factor of about 250...:o...It wasn't until many several jumps later that I got the pucker factor down to a somewhat manageable level. Pucker factor now is about 3-5

.:D:D

It usually helps a bit if there's first-jump SL students on the plane with me who're more scared than me. Then I feel much better. :-)

Glad we can be of some use :p

Congrats on your first few aff jumps, hope too do mine once i can afford it (stupid uni fees)

can anyone point me in the direction of what you have to do on each jump of your aff?

Cheers

This is a link to a BPA document on AFF training which outlines the process:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/training%20manuals/AFF%20MANUAL.doc

I can't afford AFF right now, so I'm doing RAPS static line instead. I'm enjoying it so much now, I think I will probably try and stick with it no matter how tempting AFF becomes in the summer. :-)

Have you considered a static line course? You get to the same place eventually, and it's a lot easier to spread the cost especially if you're at Uni, even if you end up paying the same amount eventually by the time you reach Cat 8. I'm paying around 40 quid a jump.

G. :-)

;)
I am a student as well. I did ground school and a few AFF jumps. The scariest part is you never know what you are going to get. Like the one guy said, assume on every jump you will need to use your reserve. Don't panic and all those emergency procedures you learned, KNOW THEM IN AND OUT. If you don't, practice so you are prepared and not freaked up there if something were to happen. You have your instructors with you till you pull, so safety during freefall is good. Once your canopy is open, happy floating :-) If you have radio control under canopy, if your instructor tell you to do something, DO IT! Or you can end up in the trees or god only knows-i have seen it many times hanging out at the DZ. You don't want your nick name to be "sparky" either-if you land in power wires (buzz)!
Keep us posted on your progress.

"From Wings Came Flight"

I have a similar question. After 3 tandems, I signed up for AFF. Yersterday I got the ground school, but later in the afternoon they said we couldn't do the jump because it was too windy.(Level 1).
Now the whole time I think I will not find the DZ after pulling, and if I do, I think I will never get to the point where I should be landing.
Can this only be learned by practise? There is no radio, all by myself under that canopy, trying to let it go where I want it to go. So that is my fear.
Hope the weather will be better next weekend, but here in Belgium it's not that obvious.

Thanks for good advice.
Sarah.

End of the day, what's the worst that can happen, you can't find the landing area, you land out, pick a safe spot.

Likelyhood is that you will open up, and see it straight away, fly towards it and land somewhere close by. Tip for you, if you can't see it, look where everyone else is heading, as an AFF student you are likely to be above a couple of people.

BOOM Headshot

Wow, no radio control!! Well, the DZ I go has a huge picture of the drop zone of what it looks like at a certain altitude-they showed us on the pciture of how we need to come in so that way we have an idea (on top of the radio control that we have). If there is a pciture of your DZ high enough, get the wind direction and then have an instructor tell you how you need to be coming in. This might help you b/c then you have the view in your head from the picture.
Just make sure you don't land in trees or power lines. That could hurt!

"From Wings Came Flight"

Josh.
I've always wanted to Sky Dive.I did 2 static line in 1987 on Big Old Rounds.I did my AFF in Spain last year and it was well worth the wait.
You've got what it takes so go that little bit further.
The instructors won't let you go on your own until they know you can hold your own.
Best Grand I've ever spent ! Hooray for the Ram Air. :)
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.