skysrock

Newer then new...

o.k. i did 1 tandem and thought i was going to die because of the air "forced" into my lungs. i could not for the life of me breath or take my hands off my mouth/nose until they chute was pulled.i mean i REALLY thought i was going to die.i was pulling on the harness? ( see how new i am.lol) trying to get it off of me. i was trying to turn around to get my face out of the wind.the poor guy on my back...so anyway, the chute opens.....i am IN LOVE with what i was doing. all i could do was think about jumping on my own. so...i go again determind to get over the breathing thing. i LOVE when you first jump out but bamb! the wind again. this time i knew i wasn't going to die and that that part would be over fast and i loved the rest even more. but what in the world is happening to me? has anyone ever heard of this? i am so frustrated because all i wanna do is jump on my own.

I did my first tandem on Saturday and the TM warned me about it: "maybe you'll have a hard time breathing, maybe not". In the end it was ok, I just kept my mouth almost closed and expired through the nose. The TM gave me a nice trick in case I'd get air "stuck" in my lungs: "Just scream <> and you'll see you can" :-)

Again i am no medical expert so feel free to seek further advice if you want.

But i can assure you that the only thing stopping you breathing is you.
A small but significant number of new jumpers complain of this problem, it is totally a mental thing stopping you. If you think you cant breath you wont breath, if you relax and dont think about it like you do on the ground you will breath like normal.

The more you jump the more relaxed you will be and the easier it will be, just try not to think about it and enjoy the view and im sure that in no time you will be fine

Good luck

Stephen

Welcome to the forums! :) As for the breathing thing, I'm sure the more you learn to relax, the better it will be. I've never even thought about breathing while I'm skydiving. If it continues, after you get off student status you could always get a full-face helmet which would help the problem.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Michelle

First off welcome:)
I had the same problem when I did my tandem and thought, boy this isn't for me. I asked about it and was told that once you learn to relax it goes away. I am now on unsupervised status and enjoying jumping from 13000 feet. Once you learn to relax things will work out. Keep at it, you will be glad you did:P:P:P

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

oh my gosh, thank you everybody SO much for responding! the part about screaming "i can't breath!" made me laugh and i will try it for sure. and thank you knewman for letting me know i'm not the only one. i feel better already! more then likely i'll jump again next month ( i think of the cost as a bill i'll have every month like the rent, car payment) until i get this down, own my own chute and skydive happily ever after:P

Well depending on where you live and do your training its $800-2000. The the cost of jumps and rental $50 or $100 when overseas (UK/Holland) x50. I also just bought brand new gear, which was $5k.

Now given I like to spoil myself, you don't need to get brand new gear.... Used gear can run $1k - 4k depending on what you want.

I'm currently in the processes of selling my stero and laptop just so I can go jump more.

Don't let this scare you off. It's expensive to get started, but once you get settled in its not to bad. I try to make a couple jumps every weekend so I normally spend $200 a month.

To me it is well worth it. Skydivers at the dropzones I hang out at are like my second family. Even if I don't jump that weekend, I will go down just to chill out and join the after parties.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

"Well depending on where you live and do your training"
I'm in sunny southern california. i live in orange county but the two times i jumped i drove to san diego.i really liked those people so i plan to keep going there.
" you don't need to get brand new gear.... Used gear can run $1k - 4k depending on what you want."
at this point i have no idea what i want but i'm studying up.

"once you get settled in its not to bad. I try to make a couple jumps every weekend so I normally spend $200 a month."

ahhhh, i can't wait to get to that point!

Congratulations on finding the best sport in the world! (understatement).

I just graduated last weekend from SL and it's great! The longer I'm in it the better it gets. Good luck to you and ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Congratulations on finding the best sport in the world! (understatement).

I just graduated last weekend from SL and it's great! The longer I'm in it the better it gets. Good luck to you and ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!

Again, Thanks again everybody. I only have two tandems and I feel right at home here already:P I'm just not sure what SL is...but congrats!!!

I'm just not sure what SL is...but congrats!!!

SL is static line. The student's rig contains a static line which is attached to a stationery object (usually a caribeaner-type hook) in the plane. When the student climbs out of the plane and lets go, the static line automatically deploys the main canopy. It is a method of training that teaches canopy control before freefall. I started learning on SL, but have now switched to AFF (accelerated free fall). Good luck and hope you continue with the sport!

One who looks for a friend without faults will have none. -- Hasidic Saying

ahhh static line...i have read about it. i think i am already too hooked on that freefall feeling to do that tho...after all, isn't that the best part? i wish it lasted a lot longer.soon as the door slides open i don't even want to wait for the guys on the floor to go first...am i sick?:|

I forgot to say before... when i did my tandem i was asking questions...
they said that it would be very windy and noisy, then i asked (and now i feel soooo stuuupid!), can i breathe ok? My tandem instructor said to me to keep my mouth closed, otherwise air could rush in and make breathing strange/uncomfortable.
i have done a static line jump since- and i didn't even think about the breathing!
:)

Sounds like you could've been preventing yourself from breathing by covering your mouth/nose with your hands. Try it on the ground, it makes things more difficult.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative