rhoni_renee

greetings...

Hello all! So after lurking in these forums for...um...almost four years :$, I thought it was time to jump in and particpate where I can.

I'm not an active skydiver. I'm a one jump wonder (tandem). I *will* train and jump regularly at some point but for now there are other priorities in my life. I DO plan on doing another tandem soon. In the meantime, I've enjoyed this site so much...it's time to join in!

Rhoni

Now is the time to take possession of my life, to start the impossible, a journey to the limits of my aspirations. For the first time to step toward my loveliest dream...." -- Hugh Prather

hehe...actually my "priority" (read 8 year old son) has asked on several occassions why I haven't jumped again. He thinks it's awesome but I won't take him to a dz and expect everyone there to watch him while I'm training. Have to find a good regular sitter who doesn't mind going to the dz with me I guess. :) And there's the matter of making sure he'd be taken care of financially if anything were to happen. Right NOW he's covered but they'd balk if they found out I'd purposely thrown myself at the ground. Anyone with suggestions on that, feel free to PM me. I just haven't done a forum search yet although I'm sure there's tons of information already in here about that!

Now is the time to take possession of my life, to start the impossible, a journey to the limits of my aspirations. For the first time to step toward my loveliest dream...." -- Hugh Prather

My favorite saying is that if you survived the car ride to the airport then the most dangerous leg of your journey is over. ;)

I know it's debatable depending on how your read stats but I still like it. B|

Skydivers will sometimes point to deaths in other sports or activities as a way of convincing people that jumping out of airplanes isn't all that dangerous. It is easy to look at 43,000 total motor vehicle deaths in 2000, and an average of just 33 skydiving fatalities each year, and believe that driving is more dangerous than skydiving. Yet, we should consider that the actual death rate for motor vehicles reported by the NSC in 2000 is .156 per 1,000 participants, while the fatality rate for active skydivers reported by USPA members is about 1.1 per 1000, based on ten year averages. The current worldwide three year fatality rate for tandem skydiving as reported by the Uninsured Relative Workshop is considerably lower, at .0042 per 1,000 participants, but that representation can quickly change with just one or two fatalities. So, skydiving can be accurately termed more dangerous than driving, or it can be shown to be safer than driving, depending on what data is used and how it is interpreted. We should always be very cautious when reviewing safety data and other statistical detail about skydiving, or any other activity. Statistics can easily be used to tell several conflicting stories at the same time, and should always be suspect.

This is from
http://www.ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article07.htm

Might as well Jump !!

Welcome to the forums! I know it's hard to juggle kids and skydiving. I hope you find a way to get things worked out soon!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I know it's debatable depending on how your read stats but I still like it.

Then again you could argue it shouldn't be participant as such but per drive/jump... not so? Torture the stats till they confess!!

Renee, welcome. As skymama says, there's quite a lot of moms here B|, hope you can "join the club" soon :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I've noticed how many moms and it's great! I think it's important not only to encourage the kids to find and follow their passions but to show them as well. Just has to be done responsibly. :)
As for stats...blegh. Hehe. I've read all the stats and as someone says, you can make them say what you want. Fact is, it's a dangerous hobby. Yeah, so' are alot of daily things but they're necessary to live and provide for my child. Adding an extra element of danger to my life to feed an addiction is not. And so, although I desperatly want to return to the sky, I'll make sure it's done as responsibly as possible.

That being said, the day I do return, you guys will probably all hear the squeals of joy! ;) Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rhoni