kpowers3

Hi All. I'm new here and am planning on doing my first skydive on May 21st at skydive Lake Wales, FL. I'm quite apprehensive and would love some insight. I"m scared of heights and flying. GREAT HUH.. my boyfriend and I are going together but I just would like to know what it is like the first time you get up there.

Nothing is better than conquering a fear (ie heights and flying) than immersion therapy. The most adrenaline, in my limited experience, comes from anticipatory anxiety. The first time I jumped, it was a tandem. I was nervous the whole week before the jump. I could not eat the morning of. I had twinges in my stomach and had to go to the bathrooom a lot. In the aircraft, I felt nauseated. But, once my tandem master and I left the plane,...it was breathtakingly beautiful and surprisingly peaceful. I returned to do my AFF and have 7 jumps now. I love it. Hope this helps! The only thing I regret is not doing this 10 years ago!
Jen

I grew up spending most weekends at the airport since my dad was a private pilot. I LOVE heights. There are quite a few skydivers that told me they are afraid of heights. The big difference is that once you are out of the plane, you have the most incredible 360 degree unobstructed view and there is no reference point to awaken the fear. I enjoy that feeling of anticipation in my stomach when the spotter calls "door" and then it's my time to jump. Just be forewarned. Once skydiving gets in your blood (and it most likely will), you might as well have your direct deposit sent to the dropzone. It's just easier that way. ;)

Enjoy your skydive,

Monkeyboy
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I had a chance to visit Lake Wales in March. Everyone was friendly and they provide a great atmosphere. As far as a fear of heights, I think everyone looks at it differently. I spent many years rock climbing, and then became involved in skydiving. The perspectives are totally different. I still don't like being on a house roof, even though I have many years of being in the construction business.

I personally never had a problem with heights, I'm actually atracted by them, I love been up high for the views you get, I think in the plane you don;t really feel the same vertigo there is from standing on the edge of a tall building or mountain, you don;t feel the atraction of gravity as much, ling to pull you down. Just relax and enjoy the view, don't feel nothing in the stomach either like in the rollocoaster (seems to be the most popular question when going to jump for the first time;) )

HAVE FUN!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
Danger brings fear, but fear... brings more dangers.

Hello I to am new to the sport I have 4 jumps, I am in the construction trade and have a fear of heights but in my trade you just have to work around it. I thought it would be tuff to jump out when we got to altitude but you don't get the same feeling of being up high. On my first jump with a plane full of jumpers
they talked to me on the way up and when we got to jump altitude and the door opened they had me so pumped up that when the jump master said to the door I didn't hesitate right out the door I went What a rush. If you are just plainning on doing 1 tandum jump I suggest you get it filmed because it is so much to take in at once you will have a hard time remembering leaving the plane once you are under canopy. Good luck Blue Skys and Safe Landings

STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!!!!!!! LATER
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB