DOA

UK too expensive, considering AFF in Florida

Hi,
Hope you are all well.
Having wanted to jump for many many years, I have decided to consolidate all my past hobbies and sell anything I no longer require to fund jump training. However here in the UK the prices seem very high compared to the USA. This has set me down the road of considering doing my AFF and anything else I can afford in the USA. What with the UK's SHAT weather no doubt it'll take 6 months to get my AFF complete.

So, my question is. Anyone have any money saving tips for flights to the USA etc etc etc. I'm sure some more Brits must have considered or done what I plan to do so your experiances would be appreciated. I am currently in contact with www.ffadventures.com and they seem really nice people and very helpful. Ex Brits I belive?

Kind Regards
Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!

Tis a good idea, thats why my holidays are booked for november :)

Get in touch with the dropzone and speak to them, from what I hear its a common thing to do.

Prices in the US are half the price of UK (although thats mainly because of the strength of the pound more than anything).

Couple of things to remember, make sure you get a video of level 7 so you can show a UK dropzone (they might want you to do a coached jump or two just to make sure you are ok).

Other thing is make sure you have travel insurance thats up to the job (search these forums).

Other thing is might be worth doing a tandem or similar in the UK first just to make sure its for you.

BOOM Headshot

Welcome to the forums! :)
Be careful with your timing though. Starting in June, FL has a lot of afternoon thunderstorms that slows down jumping for an hour or so and it's pretty hot and humid. Also, hurricane season is June through November, with the majority of them in August and September. Some years we have none, but last year we got socked with 4 of them. November through March are my favorite months here and is when the skydiving "season" is in full force.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. On mailing ffadventuers they seem very friendly and are prompt on replying to mail. They're close to the internatinal airport (but not too close ;-) ) Costs so far are excluding flights or accomodation. I do plan to camp though, unless I end up with spare cash.

FULL AFF COURSE $1,240.00
USPA MEMBERSHIP $15.00
SKYDIVING LOG BOOK $7.00
10 x CONSOLIDATION JUMPS $440.00
Wind Tunnel $120.00

So, opinions people ! MUCHLY APPRECIADOOOO

Phil.

Not sure I would bother with the uspa membership as you are gonna need BPA membership when you get back to uk anyway.

The AFF course usually includes temp membership.

I would also leave a few consol jumps for UK so you can get to know people at you local dropzone.

But looks good

BOOM Headshot

I did my AFF with ffadventures and they are fantastic people with a lot to offer, i would definately advise anyone to go there.
The coaching is top notch and the drop zone is beautiful, and of course everybody is always happy to drink with you as you will be having lots of firsts!

The USPA membership they quoted you is not optional because your uninsured without and it is not included in the course fee (but its only $15 cos it a temp membership anyway).

I would definately get over to the tunnel if you can it is totally worth the money, but you wont need to worry about that as Mik (who will probably be your coach) will sort it all out for you so you will do it at the right time so it will really help your progression.

My group camped at the DZ to save money which worked out really well with the bar on the DZ. But i would definately advise you to rent a car as the DZ is pritty remote and your a bit lost without one if you want to leave the DZ to eat...

blue skys,

Stephen

edit to add: i would advise you to try and get all your console jumps done whilst your still away that way you are much less likely to haver to repeat levels or do too many coach jumps befor your allowed to go solo in the UK. Dont worry too much about meeting people over here in the UK, it may take a while but i dont think doing consoles here will change that because from the outside you look just like a qualified jumper as you will be solo on consoles anyway

Hi,
ffadventures have told me 7 days is enough for the AFF and consolidation jumps. Weather permitting I suppose. I'm aiming for 7 days off peak to try and save on the flight.

FFADDICT>> Thanks for the feedback on ffadventures. thats good to know. Am reading a mag at the moment that warns of schools abroad dishing out training that isnt valid when u get back to the uk. Although to FFadv credit they have already verbally told me I'll be valid when I get back to the UK, although some DZ's will ask me to done an accompanied jump just to put thier minds at rest

I also plan to camp, I just thought not having air con and being in a nylon dome will be somewhat sweaty ..... and lets face it, if I meet any ladies it's not the most sound proof of accmo ;-)

Phil.

Hi,
You will have no problems when you get back to the UK. The guy's you are doing the AFF with will look after all that for you. They've been doing it for years....for people from the UK.
The one problem you will have is when back in the UK to jump, get ready for the BPA membership 111 UK pounds!!! (just found my new computer has no pund sign);)

Been involved with a club since I started jumping that does exactly this every year. they take training trips out themselves though rather than going through an agency.

7 days should do fine - at least your levels and more than likely also your consoles... unless you get crappy weather of course which no one can predict.

my tip would by buy the full uspa membership. it's like a tenner more and you get an ok magazine subscription for your money as well as not having to shell out on membership again that year if you end up going over to the states again.

getting signed off in the uk shouldn't be too much hassle. get either video of your level 7 or make sure you finish your a license requirements out there. you'll often find a BPA rated instructor kicking round the DZ in florida... maybe see if you can get a coached jump with him and a signature off him... that could count for a lot back home.

So long as you don't turn up back home with an attitude (I think 90% of problems on return come down to this) you should be alright. don't simply turn up and flash your book going - yeah I'm fully qualified - now suck my balls (as I get the impression some people have done in the past only to then come on here and complain about the reaction it got :D).

Expect to be quizzed about what you know. Expect to maybe run through a dive plan or talk through what you're going to be doing with an instructor. Your docs will certainly be pored over to ensure so make sure there is a good full write up of every jump you did together with an instructors signature. Don't be too surprised if they want you to do a console or even a jump with an instructor if you didn't complete your a-license requirements out there.

All in all you ought to be fine so long as you're able to satisfy your new home DZ you're not going to cause a whole load of paperwork for them by hurting yourself. :)
Also... try simply contacting the DZ direct... you may find you get a significantly better deal. All you need is flights, accom (which the DZ often has or can point you to), AFF levels + consoles and make sure you get prices including kit hire (esp. for consoles)... or at least know what kit hire prices are. If you want a hire car USPA does a deal on that and if you figure you're merely gonna be on the DZ all holiday anyway you'll probably find you can bribe someone out there to get you from the airport to the DZ.

I think seven days should be fine as long as you only plan on jumping. If you wanna get out to the beach... (which i advise) ten days would probably be better. I was there for ten days and managed all my levels and consoles (20 jumps total) and that was with losing a day to the beach and new years day with a hang over!

I agree with mr2mk1g about the full USPA membership. i have no idea about the price differnce but i do wish i had the magazine subscription.

Dont worry about your coaching being valid in the UK, Mik (the head instructor) is both well known at UK DZ's and is a BPA rated instructor. The whole set up is top notch out there and your training will surpass any BPA requirments.

You can contact the DZ direct to make sure about prices if you want but ffadventures and the DZ work together with ffadventures doing all the AFF and WARP coaching, so im sure they wil quote the same price if they dont just give you the number for ffasdventures.

I was there over new year so it being too hot for camping wasnt a problem for me, but i think it should be ok as long as you air it out when it cools down at night.

stephen

Thanks for all the feedback guys and gals. I have however decided to stay for 14 days rather than seven (the flights were way cheaper!!) I am now planning on doing (and the dz say it's certainly possible as long as I'm focused) AFF/CONSOL and my FS1. I wasnt planning on doing the tourist thing so the full 2 weeks is dedicated to absorbing as much as I can.

Oh and buying a bonehead Havoc, if it doesnt suit or end up being a pain,,, I'll sit it on the mantle piece and look at it, because boy do they look good B|

Phil.

Oh and buying a bonehead Havoc, if it doesnt suit or end up being a pain,,, I'll sit it on the mantle piece and look at it, because boy do they look good

A newbie like me isn't allowed to use a full face helmet until "B" license or later... I think you should get something like a Mindwarp or Guner.

You should consider Sweden. Its cheap to fly over here with Ryanair and the aff is very cheap. The whole course will cost you 660 gbp and i think bed is included. 3 meals on the dz will cost you 9 gbp...

i am doing my aff right now on Stockholmsklubben, the biggest club in sweden and it it really good.

/G

Hey if you do it in FL go to Skydive Deland, its a nice DZ and it has great coaches as well. Infact thats where i went get get my AFF training done. If you go Ask for Pedro of Nikki as your AFF coach. one more thing breath and relax!!! have fun and dont forget to pull your chute.
Chad Artiaga
2WheelTuning
Arcadia, Ca