alpha1wlf

totally green

ok, I've always wanted to skydive and now I just happened on this website and need some advice. I always thought the first jump had to be tandem now that I realize it doesn't...what is better? s/l or aff, or should I start w/a tandem jump? how much is it to go through training? I'm a student in Chicago and if anyone has any advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

See if your DZ uses the ISP and does training tandem jumps. You'll get some of your AFF done and learn more quicker via this method then any of the other methods. If they don't, then you may enjoy doing a tandem before doing AFF simply so you will have a better idea of what to expect in freefall. Also, if you do this, tell your TI and I bet he/she will be more then happy to explain the landing pattern and have you help fly the canopy in. That will greatly help you with your AFF.

What ever you choose, good luck and have fun!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Check out this page. It lists the dz's in IL. You can read the reviews and find the one closest to your house.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My wife and I started with AFF. She did awesome on her first jump. Smiling all the way down. However, now that I've seen my video,....lol. I was quite overcome by the whole experience apparently. I did good but was not relaxed as I exited the plane. I looked like a flying x belly down. After about 20 seconds I relaxed and got things under control. My favorite part was flying my own canopy in and landing. That was sweet. You have to do what you are comfortable with.

I also did my first jump as a tandem, which I am very thankful for. It not only made the decision for me that I wanted to continue on in this sport, but it is a great way to feel out how you feel about. The only downside is that you aren't really in control and there is a serious sensory overload. But, either way, you'll be hooked, especially if you have wanted to do this for a while.

I started out with static-line...but any skydive is a good skydive. Some prefer SL and others prefer AFF. I've never done a tandem - but it might be a good choice to get familiar with skydiving from full altitude and having not much to do on your first jump.

Welcome and good luck.

Rylord
Kentucky Skydiving Center

Hey there,
I would highly recommend doing a tandem first. Most people are in total sensory overload and it's really great to not have to worry about doing anything and just enjoy the jump. On my 1st jump, I did look at my altimeter, but it didn't even register in my brain what I was looking at! :S:)
If you're in Chicago, I highly recommend Skydive Chicago (SDC). Thats where I am doing my training. I live downtown and it takes about 1.5 hours to get there. (It's in Ottawa) The instructors are really great, very experienced, and everyone is very friendly. The place has great amenities, too. And I've heard that the landing area is really huge compared to others.
The program they offer, AFP, is also better than a lot of other DZ's. Its way more comprehensive than standard AFF. You have 2 tandems 1st, then you do 18 more jumps. You learn more advanced freefall positions and canopy control.

Anyway, welcome! I hope you love your 1st jump as much as I did. If you want to know more about SDC, just PM me.

Jeth
B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I wanted to add -- at SDC both the tandem jumps are training jumps. You take a class first where you learn about the exit, body position, reading your altimeter, etc. You can do the pull as well as fly the canopy. (If you want to.) But the great thing is if you forget everything and are in overload, they'll do it for you and you'll both land safely. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Hi!

I think it´s better for you to do a tandem, the sensation of freefall is something different , very fast, you can´t explain.I did a tandem first, and then, when I started doing AFF, I already knew what to expect during freefall, so I could get more concentrated in my body position and exercise.

Good luck and blue skies!! :P

I would absolutely recommend tandem first. As most everyone else has stated, and I felt the same way, doing a tandem first gets all of that "sensory overload" sensation out of the way, plus you already have a feel for the skydive and what it will be like next time. Another bonus I experienced at my home DZ (lost prairie ;)) was that I received a discount on my AFF course because I had done a tandem first! Enjoy and good luck.

You'll never find me Jew gold!