Acensky

Hey

Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.
I am a sophomore at Western Oregon University doing my pre nursing stuff. I have 0 jumps in but that will soon change. I am going to do the AFF Level 1. Most likely at Eugene Skydivers. A friend showed me this site and I have been hooked ever since.
wanna talk, just drop me a line. Always like to hear jump stories.

Later DaysB|
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Are you going to start with a tandem or straight to student training?

They can be the same thing, infact when done that way and done properly with the ISP, it is such a better program then pure AFF its not even funny.

I hate it when people mislead newbies!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They can be the same thing, infact when done that way and done properly with the ISP, it is such a better program then pure AFF its not even funny.

I hate it when people mislead newbies!

Good Lord, I wasn't trying to mislead her, I just formed my sentence incorrectly because I'm busy at work and was rushing. I know tandems can be incorporated into AFF training, that's the way I started skydiving! What I meant to ask was if she was just going to do a tandem (assuming that was all she wanted to do), or if she wanted to be a licensed skydiver. That part wasn't clear is her post.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome to the great and wonderful DZ.com

to start off with tandum or aff are both great ways to go all depends on what you feel most comfortable with. Do your research and ask lots of questions, before you choose what your going to do.;)

hey just my $0.02 but I'm in the middle of AFP right now, and I'm really glad I did a tandem progression. I know a lot of people want to get right to 'doing it by yourself', but i found the tandems REALLY helpful, for two main reasons.

1) i had so much sensory information hitting my system on my first jump that it was hard to focus on anything i had been taught. i hear it's the same for most people :) So it was nice to know that i didn't have to worry too much about getting things quite right.

2) being under canopy WITH an instructor was invaluable. it was so helpful, having my instructor walk me through checking my canopy, steering, flaring, landing, etc. they described it all to me on the ground, but it makes much more sense in the air when it's actually happening, and it was great to have an instructor there WITH me, explaining everything.

basically with the tandem progression it seems like you can do a lot of the learning and training at a much lower stress level, which I really appreciated :)