SlyFox

From paratrooper to skydiver

I just got into the sport in July 2002 after retiring from the military. Kept missing the feeling of jumping from a plane. I thought being under a parachute again was so great. As I started doing more freefall work and RW, I just kept finding more parts of the sport that I enjoy. Looking forward to continue to learn and have fun. Blue Skies

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Tons more fun than a T-10/w 65 lbs of equipment, Zero ellumination at 0200 hrs in the morning. Not to mention the other 300 men in the air at the same time with heavy equipment already on the ground. Very Exciting!

Blue Skies

In Christ
Dave Smith

Yeah, I always wanted to try skydiving, but never imagen how much more enjoyable it would be. Always end the jump with a big smile.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

I was stationed out of Bragg from 1991 to 2000 and have made few military jumps out of Raeford. A matter of fact that is where I did my last military jump.

Welcome... You will find a symphony of former Airborne, SF, Ranger, etc. on this site. SOme retired, some active, some reserve... Each year at the World Freefall Convention, we usually have an all-veterans jump. Hope to see and meet you there. You won't miss me. I'll be the next to tallest (now that Tallguy has me beat) - wearing an all blue & white tie-dyed Wings rig. Feel free to introduce yourself.

Airborne Graduate - May 29th 1980
Honor Graduate

Welcome.

I think you'll find this a bit more fun than a SL jump on a T-10, or even a MC-4 for that matter.....

You mustn't forget the "-1B", I can't remember if they were the ones with the toggles or not, imagine a round with toggles, SCARY!!! Served 5 years w/ the 82d Airborne, gotta say that life did not begin until I hit the "Freefall" stage, something about those Combat Night jumps that didn't really "flip my cookie"...
Not too mention I was with the 2/319th Artillery, cannon cocker, thunder Rabbit, however you want to refer to us, but I am a much happier man since I graduated to Ellipticals. 1,300+ jumps later and I have FINALLY got all those "round memories" out of my skull. Welcome to the forums, dude!!!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

There isn't much comparison between the round and the square chutes. Although since I haven't reached my B license yet, I do miss the night jumps. That is something I'm looking forward to in the future. I spent 9 years out of Ft. Bragg, mostly with 3rd Group and a few with SWC.

Hey trooper,
Im stationed here at bragg in 3rd Group myself and just made the transition from the giant rounds to the little squares. Lots of fun times out at Raeford DZ no matter what the occasion. I just got my B not too long ago and loving it one minute at a time. I have yet to introduce myself in the forums... so a Hello to all.

Welcome to the forum also. I am a former 3rd Grouper myself. Spent my time in 1st Bn. and have a handfull of friends that are still there. I was there back in Oct visiting some old friends.

Ha! Ha! Me too, back then I only weighed 120 lbs soaked and wet. Could easily knockout 100 push ups in less than 2 minutes. Jump school was a lot of fun for me!

An Airborne Forum would be great, Getting my Master Parachutist Badge was a High Point in my career. I loved Jump Mastering A/C

Blue Skies

In Christ
Dave Smith

Was happy to complete the jumpmaster course also. Nothing like the feeling of looking out into the dark and sending other paratroopers out the door as well as going out yourself. I graduated JM course in 1995.

I was tempted to stop by there in October, but only spent a day there and visited old team mates. Would be nice to jump a square there though.

I graduated JM course in 1992. You are right, I loved to JM an A/C. A lot of responsibility but much fun. Funny as well sometimes, watching everyone exit. Good exits, Baaad exit. I always gotta good laugh when a jumper caught the door with their shoulder or ruck sack! Then fell out. Ha! Ha!

In Christ
Dave Smith

I was lucky most of the time when we jumped we did tailgate jumps. I didn't care too much for waddling to the door and try to get a good exit. Tailgate all you had to do was get to the end of the tailgate and fall. Nothing like having an 80 pound ruck hanging from you. Worse yet, being packed like sardines with yours and another jumpers ruck on your lap as well as the safety walking over the top of them. Always happy to see the door open!

Hey Guys,

Welcome to sport skydiving. Another ol' paratrooper here. Jump school in NOV 76. Served with 20th Group from 76 to 94. Started sport skydiving in 82. Military JM in 83. HALO in 90. Retired in 99. Picked up Master wings sometime along the way. I was stationed at Bragg in 91 and jumped quite a bit at at Raeford while there. It's a great DZ.

The night equipment jumps sure make for nice memories, but this ol' soldier's skeleton is content with soft openings, and even softer landings nowadays. I gotta agree with you though, there isn't much to compare to the feling of being a JM conducting a N/CE jump out of a C-130.

De Opresso Liber