HumbleStudent

Check In!

twitch, twitch...I feel an addiction coming on...
:P

You just now feel an addiction!!!:D I think the addiction starts with the first jump!

Welcome and congrats on finishing AFF!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Welcome :) Glad to hear that you have completed AFF and have 4 solos. B| I've only got one. Weather has kiled my jumping the last two times i tried[:/] Again, welcome :)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Thanks for all the Welcomes!
I'm sure I can quit anytime....:P

Newbies:
How were your first jumps? What did you learn? What do you watch out for now?
(From one newbie to another)

Old timers:
Any suggestions on canopy control for a newbie? I've flared to high a couple of times, and 'biffed' it... any suggestions as to what to look for prior/at flare time?

----
Sushi, Sex, and Skydiving - the breakfast of champions

If not still on radio, you may want to have an instructor watch you as you are landing to see if they can pinpoint a problem.

Most new jumpers flare higher than normal when they start landing themselves. A lot of times it is because they are looking straight down, instead of up a little toward the horizon as they are getting ready to flare. Since every parachute will descend at a different speed on any given day depending on a whole bunch of different factors, it is impossible for anyone to give one "right" answer to fix your problem. Practice flaring up high to get a feel for the canopy you are under...see where the canopy actually flares out, and where it will stall. It is very important to know the limitations of your canopy.

If you do flare to high, don't panic, ease your brakes up about half-way, the ease back into the flare gently. Don't reach for the ground with your feet and keep your feet and knees together and prepare to PLF.

Hang in there:)

Thanks for all the Welcomes!
I'm sure I can quit anytime....:P

Welcome to the sport and the forums. Congrats on finishing AFF, definitely a great feeling when you finally get to jump out all by yourself. Have you done either of you low solos yet? I am still working up the nerve for those.

Newbies:
How were your first jumps? What did you learn? What do you watch out for now?
(From one newbie to another)

Haha, my very first jump, well 4 of my friends and I went for a tandem and had this brilliant idea that we were not going to eat or drink for 4 hours prior to our jump (we heard that some people throw up or pee their pants), but as you know a 4pm appt turned into a 6:15 sunset load, okay so there I am at altitude, dehydrated, hungry, and in sensory overload, literally thought I was gonna pass out, then my instructer decides to do a back flip out of the plane....needless to say.... the skydive was a little more than I could handle, but hey, couldn't have been that bad, have been back there almost every weekend since :)
As far as knowing when to flare, well when you get that one down, please let me in on your secret, it was not until this past weekend on my 14th jump that I finally landed on my feet...Wow!!! Was that awesome, made the skydive even that much better, don't ever want to fall on landing again but I have a feeling that is exactly what I will be doing this weekend :S I am getting soooo good at PLFing :ph34r:.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

KolinskyDC - I
After I biffed several landings I started looking at the horizon at about 50 ft. I flared at about the time the horizon looked the same as when I was standing on the ground. (I know I flared higher than a body length from the ground) but it worked great. The landing was so soft it made of for the last 3 biffed landings. I think what 'Cruzit' said really applies. Thinking back to the last 3 bad landings - I was focusing on the ground. It may take some time to refine but I prefer the softer landings to the 'feet,ass,head,eat dirt landings' :)

----
Sushi, Sex, and Skydiving - the breakfast of champions

I would still consider myself as a beginner and I have 65 jumps. You will figure out that you will be learning for a long time as alot of us are. After fudging a couple of landings one of my instructors told me that while in the air at above 2000 face into the wind and with your toggles all the way up like you are landing, lean in your harness and see what kind of a response your rig has. It will probably turn the way you lean. That is something that you need to practice on is making sure that you are centered on your rig and when coming in on final let your canopy fly you might need to steer it a little bit but none the less let it fly, change your focus from the ground below you to the landing area in front of you then FLARE..........Good Luck

I'm still pretty new; just 39 jumps and my 'A' license, but one thing I've learned is to really work on 'feeling' the wind rather than relying solely on what the charts say or what others experienced hours earlier. -Don't get me wrong, getting the winds from jumpers that have just come off the DZ is VERY important and helpful, but winds can shift mid day, mid hour, and mid-jump...evidenced by my not-so stellar landing on Friday [:/]. Fortunately nothing hurt but my pride :P - & even that wasn't so bad, only 2 people on the DZ and they were talking and I don't think they even saw me take a knee on that one...but it was pretty obvious when my left boot up to my knee was covered in dirt & grass!
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.