peachsouthern

Need serious help with my landing!!!

Hi all, so I just completed my level 2 yesterday (second try),and its still to hard to put into words!! Incredible! First try at level 2 was decent, but I didn't feel comfortable to go on (kinda a perfectionist), also the fact that i flared at about 35 ft and took a nice landing on my butt. And as much cushion as you might have there...it still hurts. So I went up a second time and everything went so smooth....rt turn/lft turn....thought i was superman for a moment while i was trying to move forward and soon realized you don't go anywhere with arms and legs out. (Then again how did superman fly?????) Even though I flared at the right height and all i still seem to land on my butt (alot more gentle). Any suggestions on how to change that. Otherwise I might try to be the next charmin spokesperson and pack my butt with toilet paper. :)

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Put your feet under you!!!

Now seriously picture somebody standing on the ground start the flair when your right over their head
6ft. or so.
with a student canopy it is almost impossible to flair to late ( as long as you do flare) It takes time, practice and jumps.
for my first three jumps the jumpmaster would signal when to flare.
Anyway hope that helped welcome aboard

Just make sure to keep you feet and knees together! I learned this the hard way on AFP3. Wish I had just landed on my butt.

Thanks for the help....I have the knees and feet thing down, just can't get them under me. Awwh gonna give it another try on Monday for levels 3 and 4 (as long as the weather holds out).

Cindee how is crosskeys? I was thinking about stopping down there once I get some time. I'm right now at Skys the Limit in Newton.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Crosskeys is a great DZ! You should stop by if you have the chance. Great staff, great people.

Good luck on levels 3 and 4.

Cindy

I don't know if this will help.....
My advice to you: feel the wind..... It will "tell" you what to do.
Just before landing your brain gets cought in this terrible drama and you forget to feel the wind that's hitting you. It (the wind) will help you determine your action plan (toggles go 1, 2, 3 or just 1-3) My landings use to be terrible, 'til someone told me this.
I hope it helps.

Blues skies and soft landings!
Jess

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

As I teach landings in class, I tell my students that when the canopy and the ground are equal distance from their eyes, initiate a full flare. The flare should be about 2-3 seconds to complete. Flare thousand to the shoulders, Two thousand to the breast bone, Three thousand to the full arm extension. Only flare as much as it takes to stop all forward movement (for jumping on windier days).

This seems to work for hundreds of students. Let your instructors guide you with on site supervision and assistance.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forums!

Congrats on your successful start in skydiving! Yes, even a botched landing or two can't dissuade the fact that you are now paret of our fold.

As far as your landings go, you just get to trust your instructors and practice. It will click for you soon.

B|
Arrive Safely

John

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I wish I could have used some of it today, but the weather over here was awful!!!! Awhh hopefully I can maybe pull a late jump this week or just wait till the weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again and Blue Skies
Michelle

Just to let you know. I have 64 jumps (i know it's nothing in the skydiving world), but i'm just starting to learn how to land, and this is all recent. It comes with time and practice.:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

HI ALL.....Ok so yesterday had to be as great of as a day as my first jump. In fact I think I'm still glowing! Well I completed levels 3-5 yesterday and hope to finish by Sunday (big graduation jump). Not only was having my instructors letting go a great feeling. Ok I'll be honest, I freaked a little when I saw them in front of me. But then it was like, cool, I'm doing this on my own and not tumbling.
The best part of everything though had to be I finally landed on my FEET!!!! the first 2 jumps i landed on my feet and as i was running it out i tripped and fell ( doesn't really count) And my last jump it happened. It is alot easier on your butt!!!!;)
Again thanks for all the GREAT help...I was thinking flare 1...2...3. I can't wait till next week when I owe everyone beer!!!