CkrsHrt

First Jump at 40 -- And Bitten by the Bug!!

Hello everyone!

Just found this site today, and decided to join up. I just had my first jump (tandem) four days ago -- one day after my 40th b-day! Better late than never I suppose!! B| It was a surprise present from my AWESOME hubby. Didn't know I was doing it 'til we pulled up to the DZ parking lot. How COOL is that!! ...The hubby has 360+ jumps himself, though he hasn't jumped in about 15 years. And now that I'm hooked, he wants to recertify.

It was an absolutely INCREDIBLE experience, and I believe I've been badly bitten by the bug!! And that sucker bites HARD!! ;) The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it 20 years ago when I first started talking about the desire. ...However, an added jewel to this most treasured experience, was that I ran into an old friend -- the first person I ever talked seriously with about skydiving. God works in mysterious ways!!

My friend is now a well-traveled, experienced skydiver, and has gotten his wife and son involved in the sport as well. It's a family affair, and they were ALL jumping that day!

I've learned a lot about the sport from the hubby, and now that I, too, can understand the experience, I'm STARVING for more info. And I'm thinking I may make a trip back to the DZ before the end of the week for another go at it!!

Anyway, now that I've rambled for a bit, I just wanna say I think this is a wonderful site, and I wanna sink my teeth into as much as I can -- I've got a lotta time to make up for!! :)
BLUE SKIES!
"Seeker's Heart"

I can attest to "it's never too late!" I am 50, jumped twice(SL) when I was 16, and have missed being in the sky ever since. I just spent a weekend visiting Perris Valley and Lake Elsinore to watch the action, and I am looking for a DZ somewhat closer to my home (Lake Elsinore is a five-hour drive) to begin AFF.

In these forums, you will find yourself surrounded with very bright, good, warm-hearted people, willing and able to answer any question. 'Welcome home!' :)
"Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling, they're given wings."
- RUMI

Welcome! I did my first tandem a couple of months ago and did my first AFF last weekend. I am 42 ( and originally from WV) and also wish I had found this insanity sooner.

Funny, my indian roommate just told me a few days ago that there's a saying in india "life begins at 40".

The skydiving world is pretty small, but we have the biggest playground! :ph34r:

Enjoy, be free!
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hi, welcome to the sport. I did my first jump at 40 for my birthday and was hooked instantly. Watch out though, you may find yourself a few years down the line as an instructor spending all your free time and money in the air. Loving it though.B|
Lou. It is better to be happy for a moment and be burned up with beauty than to live a long time and be bored all the while.

I'm 38 myself, so I know where you're coming from. Be ready for the ride of your life!

God you're old Andrea:P

who says old people cant have fun....woo hoo.

Welcome to the sky... and have some fun out there.
I took a 22 year "break" from the sport... and have about 150 jumps this year after starting back in mid March. Tell Hubby to get back up there and just do it.

Amazon

LOL! Well, I'm having LOTS of fun so far! Went back for a Level 2 Tandem on Sunday, and had hoped to get a third jump in, but --- c-l-o-u-d-s. But that second jump was AWESOME, 'cause I got to DO stuff this time!!! There's absolutely NO doubt in my mind now that I'm completely hooked on this insanity. ;)

The hubby and I actually got to spend a lot of time talking with my tandem master, Bill, while waiting for the clouds to clear, and he's pretty well convinced me/us to go AFF. He says I've got the right mindset, and I'm ready enough to try it, so the hubby and I are gonna take the class together -- maybe as early as this coming Saturday. If not then, definitely sometime within the next three weeks. Can't WAIT!!

I'm really enjoying the forums, too. I've learned a lot from the posts, and love the honesty of thought and emotion everyone is willing to express. It's refreshing!! And we've gotten to meet and talk to lots of great people at the DZ, too. It's a great sport, with lots of great people having fun.

...I don't feel "old" anymore!! B|
"Seeker's Heart"