frogslapper

New Skydiver

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and to skydiving. I've got 23 jumps and loving every second of it. I'm looking for my first rig but I'm confused with all the letters and numbers that go along with describing a rig that I don't understand. I know that the main and the reserver numbers stand for square feet but that's about it. Is there anywhere I can learn about what all these things mean, is there a book or something I can buy??? This is driving me crazy, I need my own rig right now!!!!!!! Thanks for reading this and I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

Also I've worked my way down from a 260, to a 230, and now I'm jumping in a 190....is a 190 a good main to start with, do I dare go smaller with my limited experience???

Also I've worked my way down from a 260, to a 230, and now I'm jumping in a 190....is a 190 a good main to start with, do I dare go smaller with my limited experience???

We can't really tell you that, due to the many variables involved for each jumper.

I'd talk to the instructors at your DZ to see what they think you should jump, since they're the ones who actually see your canopy control. B| As a general rule of thumb, though, you want to stay at a conservative wingloading for your first canopy. 1:1 is a good start, but may not be appropiate for you, so please talk to the instructors.

As for the sizing thing.

Check each manufacture's website, they have sizing charts that will tell you what size main and reserve each letter/number/whatever stands for.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Welcome!

I purchased a rig before I was done with AFF (very recently). Found a lot of info in the dropzone.com forums, talked to my instructors, of course...but mostly solicited the opinions of a few local riggers. Those guys are the real gear gurus, and will take care of you with regards to safety. Have any used gear you are considering purchasing inspected by your rigger.

B|

Chad

good friends, blue skies, and sweet, sweet altitude...

Yes, there are good books on skydiving that will help you get through some of the maze of what to look for, but the best thing is to talk with your instructors who have a better feel for what you can handle.

Don't hesitate to learn all you can before you buy!
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook