gabby

Paraplegic skydiving!

Hi there. I am introducing myself on behalf of my boyfriend, Peter, who does not have internet access.

Peter had a skydiving accident a year ago and is now a L1 paraplegic. Last weekend he did a tandem jump because he can't bear to stay out of the sky!

He really wants to progress to a point where he can fly solo, but we don't know if this has been achieved before and are battling to figure out the logistics. We don't know of anyone in South Africa who has done this.

I am asking for any help and input from anyone who has had any similar experience or has any ideas. I was quite inspired by Alistair's story and think that may be a starting point for us.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!
Thanx
Gabby and Peter

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you here.

Sorry to hear about Peter's accident but am glad to see that he's still living life to the fullest and that you are so supportive.

You may want to go into the General Skydiving Discussion forum to get responses on the question as to Peter being able to do solos. You probably will get more responses there.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Hi andrea

Thanx for your response. Peter is basically paralysed from the waist down with a bit (very little) of muscle activity in his hip flexes and glutes. He also has no sensation.

We have two dilemas. One is how does he maintain a stable arch with no use of his legs. The other is how does he land safely without breaking something else.

We filmed his tamdem jump on the weekened and his legs are definitely unstable in the air. We tied his legs together with webbing and that helps, but then his legs flap to either the left or the right.

Thanks so much for your interest and assistance. This really is a super cool website!

Gabby

Hi Gabby!
I think a wind tunnel would prove valuable in his return to the sport. There are a few around the country to choose from.
Blues,
Steve Babin
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

You might want to contact Deland Fl.DZ. There was a story on the Discovery channel? a few years back about a Brit (I think) who was paraplegic who they helped get back in the sky. They did a lot of experimentation with his legs and webbing the jumpsuit between the legs and he found a way to fall stable. I am sure they would be willing to help. I think Mike Johnston and MadDog McGuire were very involved with him.....Hope this helps.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Maddog himself actually has to use a crutch now when he walks because of an accident that he had. He has very limited use of his legs. He jumps occasionally though and even participated in a river job last weekend.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I read that Mad Dog had hit some power lines on a base jump, or something similar, and that he was back making a few jumps. I am sure he would help our friend try to get in the air again. Power lines are not a real good thing to land in. Had a friend in Ca back in the 60's whose nickname was Stash, asked him about it one day and he said it was really Saint Ash but got shortened to Stash. Got the name landing in power lines and almost becoming ashes. Hell of a jumper, was the first jumper I ever saw use a bag for his canopy, and it was a paracommander!!!

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!