Phillbo

Cypres service question

I bought a used rig and the Cypres is due for it's 8 year in August. I'm ordering a canopy that will take 10 weeks to deliver and plan to send the rig in to have a Skyhook installed while I wait for the canopy to be delivered.
Is it too soon for me to send the Cypres in for the service as well ? It sure would be nice to have it ready to go when the rig is complete.

What is the turn around time once you send the Cypress in? I have a couple weeks fudge factor I believe.

Also, what is the normal charge for the rigger to open the rig and r/r the cypress?

sorry for all the questions but hey, thats what this place is here for - right ;)

A Cypres-1 due 8/04 + 3 months can have scheduled service done as early as May or as late as November.

Turn-around time for must units I've sent in lately has been about two weeks. If your unit is one of the unusual one that needs to go back to Airtec in Germany, it may be longer.

SSK charges about $170 for the 4/8 year service, plus about $80 if it needs batteries. Your rigger should get something for removing, shipping/handling/insurance, and reinstalling it -- figure $20 to $30 for that.

Most riggers will not close someone else's pack job if all you want is the rig opened, Cypres re-installed, and rig closed. Expect to pay the original rigger about half the cost of a standard pack job if you can get him to re-install without a full repack -- or just plan on being without gear for the couple weeks your Cypres is in for service.

Mark

SSK charges about $170 for the 4/8 year service

This includes the return shipping! :)

plus about $80 if it needs batteries

The hot tip here is to find the battery cheaper through a gear store, give it to your Rigger and have him install the new battery before he ships it for service.

Your rigger should get something for removing, shipping/handling/insurance, and reinstalling it -- figure $20 to $30 for that

I pull the CYPRES partially out anyway every time I pack a rig, to confirm serial #'s & DOM, battery install date, and to inspect for damaged case/cables. Therefore I don't charge extra for pulling it out or reinstalling it. I only ask to be reimbursed for shipping/packaging/insurance to SSK.

Most riggers will not close someone else's pack job if all you want is the rig opened, Cypres re-installed, and rig closed

I will not put my seal on anyone else's pack job. All of my customers choose to not use the rig while the CYPRES is at SSK.

BTW - the customers whose units have to go to Germany are not charged extra. :)
Arrive Safely

John

You might as well do it now. By waiting a few months you won't extend the life of the unit. It's still goes out of service when it is 12 years old, not four years passed whenever the 8 year check was. You should send the unit in for its required check as close to the due date as possible as they test it against all the other units in the same batch (or some such).

-Rory

I bought a used rig and the Cypres is due for it's 8 year in August. I'm ordering a canopy that will take 10 weeks to deliver and plan to send the rig in to have a Skyhook installed while I wait for the canopy to be delivered.
Is it too soon for me to send the Cypres in for the service as well ? It sure would be nice to have it ready to go when the rig is complete.

What is the turn around time once you send the Cypress in? I have a couple weeks fudge factor I believe.

Also, what is the normal charge for the rigger to open the rig and r/r the cypress?

sorry for all the questions but hey, thats what this place is here for - right ;)

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE