RACEDOG

Smoke Stain

I've got a friend that managed to stain the bridle and mesh on his reserve pilot chute. Here is what happenned, he jumped smoke and it left a residue on his jumpsuit, then not thinking about his stained jumpsuit he was putting away his equipment and he apparently put his stained jumpsuit in the same duffle bag as his unpacked reserve. This left a few yellowish colored stains, tried to rinse it off but no luck.

I'd like to hear some opinions about this situation, does anyone know what the acid content of this residue might be? My concern is that exposure to this residue (if acidic) would degrade the fabric.

I've seen the Golden Knights demo team's equipement a while back and their stuff was just covered with residue, I'd like to know what their rigger would have to say about my situation.

smoke residue on anything but the canopy is nothjing to worry about.

Ive had smoke on everything I owned at one time or another...incuding my skin.

The skin is the only thing you will eventually get the residue off...everything else forget it.

If it damages the canopy...then thats another problem...how serious, depends on how much and where, and repairing.

Bill Cole D-41

The bromocreasol green solution will only measure a specific pH change. Multi level pH strips (not litmus paper) with distilled water would be best. But then you have to know what pH matters.

Nylon is pretty resistant to weak acid. The acid mesh problem of the rounds was an interaction with something on the nylon material with the acid mesh. IMHO. Of two panels the same color next to each other and adjacent to the same mesh panel one could be tissue paper and one just fine. The actual degradation pathway was never deternined to my knowledge and very well may not have been solely acid catalized.

I, like Bill, have had smoke stains on lots of things. On mains and containers and your face you just keep going. On a reserve and reserve bridle I would now be conservative and repace the bridle. I also would test the pH with the strips and neutralize of particularly acidic or basic. (Probably acidic from possible sulfur in the) Monitor the stained portions, maybe remove and patch (may not worth it)
http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/?catalog_number=EM-9590-1&resultNum=0[/url] only maybe narrower range. Search for pH test strips.
This is the kind of thing you want. PM me for more info.

24 years experience as analytical chemist.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE