The111

quick answer needed!

Last night I chopped at sunset. Spent all day searching for canopy. Finally found it floating in waist deep swamp. Retrieved, happy ending. I also managed to save a muck-stuck cow's life in the process, but that is another story.

The swamp was very muddy though, so there is some dirt on the canopy, lines, risers, toggles, bag, PC, etc. I'm about to dump the whole thing in a bathtub full of cold water and swish it around gently, drain, and repeat until the water comes out clean. If anyone can think of a reason why I shouldn't do this (i.e. it will harm my shit), let me know now. I asked at the DZ and people seemed to think it would be ok, especially by the logic that the stuff is already still wet with the muddy water, so I want to get it in the tub before it dries so it only got wet "once". Not planning on using any detergent yet, I'm hoping the dirt will come off with just water. One of the toggles was kind of black.

Question which can be answered not-so-immediately: how should I dry canopy? I'm guessing hang it, although there's nowhere for me to do that except my shower curtain I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Stay away from detergent. I hope you don't have any white on your cells. ;)

The bath is a good start, you'd probably do better to go take a shower with the canopy so you can work on getting that muck out of the cells.

Once that's done, then go to the bath and start swishing it around. Keep going until the water drains clear. Fill, swish, drain. Once the lines are clean, daisy chain them and leave them hanging over the edge of the tub and just work on the canopy.

Also, don't just hang it up inside to dry it. Either put it outside somewhere where it will get no sun but plenty of breeze, or if you have to do it indoors, grab plenty of fans to help dry it out.

Mold is the enemy you want to stay away from right now.

This is how one of our jumpers took care of a muddy Xaos and it worked like a champ. If you canopy has Spectra lines, make sure you keep track of the trim. If I'm not mistaken, Spectra can change trim when it gets wet, along with the load tapes on the canopy itself.

Just my $0.03
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™