samyueru

buying a helmet

you also need to decide whether you want a full face or not. try and find people around your dz that dont mind letting you borrow their helmet for a jump. some helmets can be quite expensive. you want to make sure its what you really want, not just because others have it. for example, i bought my Z1 at 30 jumps because it was reccommended by a lot of ppl at my dz. i never got to try it in freefall until i had it. i now regret spending the $300 on it. (this is not to say that i dont like the helmet, just that the $300 could have been used elsewhere)

.-.

Demo. Or at least try on everything you are interested in before you buy.

Different helmets fit different head and face shapes ... well, differently. What your buddy says is the most comfortable helmet ever may feel like a vise on your head even if it is the correct size.

Personally I don't think that open face helmets are only for freeflying, and I'm not at all sure that full face helmets are only for RW. I jump an Aviator (open face) regardless of what kind of jump I'm doing (RW, freefly, wingsuit, hop and pop). I've jumped a fullface but didn't like the closed-in feeling I got.

Some people will tell you to consider whether you will want to add a camera to it later, but I disagree. If you do decide to fly camera later you'll be better off buying a helmet that is designed specifically for mounting cameras then. There will be times that you'll want to jump without the camera; if your only helmet has a camera mounted on it, it isn't very useful for non-video jumps.

As a long time jumper I first started with motorcylce helmets. Then went to Protec's, and then frap hats. As I got smarter I wanted something harder on my head. So I bought a couple of Protec's. I put color matched duct tape over the ears if I want it quieter. For several years I've been trying on helmets, borrowing helmets to jump, and generally shopping around. I still haven't found anything I like.>:( Especially that I want to spend $200 - $300 dollars on! None of the new helmets, or Protec's, have any saftey rating. Many of the newer helmets have little padding in them. Some, when broken in a collision become razor sharp and after taking some of the impact can slice you open.

I just never have found anything that I thought had more protection than a Protec. The exception is a full face helment protecting from blows to the face in the air and facial road rash on the ground. But, some aren't made big enough for me, some I can't see very well out of and some I just don't like. So, since I have felt the over riding need for a full face helmet, I still put on a protec when I want something harder than my frap hat. It's not coolB|, it's not the latest technology (not necessarily better technology), but it's also $40 instead of $300.

BTW motorcyle hemets are not good, too much crushable foam makes them too bulky. Skiing helmets are worn by some but still look kinda dorky. Many people used to wear hockey helmets, without the cage. You don't see this (at least I don't) any more but I'm not sure why.? There are some water sports helmets other than Protec that have promise. Don't remember the name but one had a harder shell than the Protec.

Anyway, not the keewwlll advice but some pratical advice. Spend $40 on a Protec now, spend the rest of the money on jumps, and borrow some hats to try in the air. ;)

Many of the helmets have one or two shell sizes and change the liners to fit (including protec) Some are able to be heat fitted to you head. But, I still haven't found one that fit well enough on my oversize noggin that I want to shell out the money.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I am in the same position, looking for a helmet.

I'm going into freeflying, and I want a cool freefly helmet, but hey, whats better, looking cool, or making a few more jumps?

I also know that I am going to go into camera jumping, but like it was said earlier, it would be senseless to get a helmet now to use a lot of jumps later.

I def. am going to get a PROTEC, but I dont want the full face, that looks dorky, (reminds me too much of my student days). Would any of you guys seriously advise a full face over the half cut? I dont see too much difference.

Here is a link for youse who are wonderin...

http://www.hardheadedsports.com/protec-ace-water-helmet.html

And

http://www.pro-tec.net/

(BTW i dont know how to do clickys. Someone pleeeeaaase help![:/]) Nevermind, i figured it out. But how do I say CLICKY, and make a link from it?!)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Here is another cheaper option I was considering for a while. Unfortunately it is too small for me. It also comes with the handy little pads for those swoops i'll be doing one day, scraping my knees over the ground!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47615347&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=&img=/largeimages/698218.jpg&view=large

:D:D:D

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

See some of the links above. You definately want the full ear coverage version. This gives you somewhere to put an audible altimeter and helps keep the helmet from lifting off your head in the wind. Many camera jumpers first helmet was a Protec. I have a 35mm and a Hi 8 camera on one now.

You might want the full face but for style and accuracy I wouldn't bother.

You can probably find a new Protec at the local kayak shop. Also from most of the gear dealers. The water style pads dont absorb sweat and become water logged.

You don't want the BMX unless the bill can come off. It restricts vision too much. And is likely to try to rip your helmet off your head, or your head off your neck, catching air in freefall.:o

Protec = $40 Bonehead = $250
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Bonehead = $250

I'm pretty sure you were only giving a general idea of pricing and not being specific but anyway...

Bonehead Mindwarp - US$190 (open face, suitable for camera mounting with some work/more $$)
Bonehead Guner - US$225 (open face, not camera compatible)
Bonehead Boomerang - US$235 (full face, fixed lens)
Bonehead Havok - US$295 (full face, flip up lens)