lewmonst

Katana jumpers, how are the openings?

60 jumps so far

opens a bit quicker than sabre 2, but openings are mostly uneventful. Had a few turn me upto 180, but have since found that I let one brake get a bit twisted, so could be that.

Normal pro pack, don't roll or push the nose in and quarter slider, don't pull the slider down in front like velocity.

It probably takes about 500 feet to open.

It is also the most awesome piece of skydiving equipment I have ever owned, and I am in love with it!!!!!

How many jumps on the Katana so far?

About 80 jumps on mine and 20 on the demo before that - 100 total

What other canopy can you compare the openings to?

Hmm, most of my jumps are on a Stiletto but the openings aren't anything alike. I've done a couple Sabre2 jumps and openings are comparable, although I find the Katana opens better.

How do you pack normally?

PRO pack. Clear the line, don't do anything with the nose, half the slider - I always make a big deal of making sure there is a lot of slider that is going to catch the air.

How consistent are the openings?

Extremely consistent. Out of 100 jumps I have had one brisk opening (not hard by any means), 1 line twist and a handful of off heading openings. Most of the openings have been within 90 degrees of heading and open super nice. Very soft openings.

How long to open?

I'd guess around 600 feet but I don't check my alti right before pulling or right after opening. I check on breakoff, track away and pull and then deal with my chest strap, slider, etc. before looking at my alti. They are very soft but don't take too long.

I absolutely love my Katana. I love everything about it more than any other canopy I have tried. I demoed one and bought one the day I returned the demo. :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com