payback462

pull-out deployment problem scenerio

this post was inspired by the opinions on pullout thread.

this happened about 2 weeks ago.
hopnpop from 6k
took about 2-3 seconds delay, reached back, grabbed my pud, and yank! SLIP! I unseated the handle, popped the pin, but the PC was stuck in the container and the hanle slipped out of my gloved hand.
so now i have an open container, and a stuck PC. (possibly a horseshoe?? or, i dunno, whatever that was
:D)
at the time i had tons of altitude, reached back and yanked on the bridle at the base of the PC and it came out like butter.
had a nice clean deployment from there on.

didnt really think too much else of it, until a few days ago, the reason it happend of course is because i was being lazy and shoved the PC under the bottom flap, and then i wore shitty gloves.
i was easily able to get the PC out when i grabbed the bridle. but what if i didnt have freakishly long ape arms?
so pullout users, what would be your emergency procedures be for this.
i figure, (depending on altitude,i do mostly clear n'pulls, im not dumping my reserve at 5k:P)
ok, anyway, try once, try twice, then cutaway and deploy your reserve.

id say cutaway because its pretty much garunteed that deploying the reserve will lessen the pressure on the main tray and shake the bag loose and deploy the main.B|

any ideas??
whats your thoughts?
:)

so pullout users, what would be your emergency procedures be for this.

Dip a shoulder to get some air across my back.

Reach back and grab bridle or P/C and chuck it into the airstream.

Nail the side of the container with a good solid hit from an elbow.

If none of that works, I'll fire off the reserve. I'd rather deal with two out than an entanglement.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

When I first started pull-out, I had this, while wearing a wingsuit (camerasuit). Dipped shoulder, got a nice spinner (contrail 135 @ 1.5) kicked it out and shorted the pull-out bridle (and made it a "ring" which has the pilot, pin and handle attached to it) after this modification never had troubles again and it made the pull lighter because of the pulley effect.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

About twelve years ago I had a similar problem. It almost cost me my life, I got stopped around 400-500' @ terminal. It's a very disconcerting feeling looking at the point on the ground you are going to slam in to any second.

It all started off when we dropped off our level one around 5500'. It was my 12th or 13th AFF jump of the day (long summer day @ Perris) and I was pretty tired. As soon as our boy hit line stretch I reached back and gave the ol' pull out a tug, it wasn't a hard pull to pop the pin but it turned in to one. Seems that I had inadvertently stuffed the main pilot chute under the bottom flap on my very small (read tight) container. Well, being as tired as I was I didn't have a very strong grip on the handle. Guess what ? The damn thing slipped from my grip and I couldn't grab it or the bridle ( small container out of my normal range of motion).

I thought about it for a second and decided to dump my reserve with no cut away (figuring I could grab it before It got out). At about 4000' I pulled the reserve ripcord and waited………And waited ……..and waited. Now I knew all about temporal distortion and the like, but this was getting ridicules. When I looked over my right shoulder I was met by my reserve bridle slapping me (mocking me really) in the face. Quick thought flashes through my head; NOT GOOD!!!

Now I'm a little worried. Two open containers and nothing out (except two bridles, which are difficult to land successfully). I revert back to my old belly mount/ Capewell procedures as I'm about out of options. I start beating the crap out of my containers with my elbows. After what seems like an eternity (it damn near was) I feel an opening shock.

I look up expecting to see my reserve and what do I see??????? My main!!
With my still bagged reserve attached by it's bridle/ pilot chute to my mains bridle/ pilot chute and swinging around towards me trailing lines. A little freaked I sense the danger of the situation and manage to grab the still bagged reserve and hold it between my knees. I reach up, release my brakes, turn left 90 deg and flare. Wow, what the f***k just happened?

Good question. When I was towing my main bridle it formed a loop back on itself. When I pulled my reserve the reserve pilot chute (old vector style) stood up and fell over toward the main container. It lifted off on its side right through the main bridle loop and half hitched itself. Now I was towing two bridles. The elbow beating dislodged the bridle jam and started the main pilot chute on its way, which in turn deployed the main canopy. Had I cut away I would not be writing this today. I would have run out of room.

This little incident prompted me to design the Catapult system. Had it been installed I would have been under canopy around 3500' or 3000' feet higher than I ended up.

As for cutting away or not, that's a tough call and each individual has to make that call as the situation calls for it.

BTW. My qualifications at the time: around 4500 jumps, 13 years in the sport 1500 AFF jumps, master rigger and amateur equipment designer.

Mick.