NickDG

#33 . . .

Although it seems like yesterday, tomorrow will be eleven years since we lost Theresa Tran just five days before Christmas Day of 1995.

I'll never forget that beat up car she had that was all stove in on one side, an auto she'd jump into on impromptu trips to Joshua Tree where she'd spend 3-days, hiking, climbing, and roughing it all by herself. She was warm, smart, and independent; she was dynamite in a small package.

It was her doing I found myself at the back gate of Magic Mountain one early California morning, and when asked by the guards who we were, they opened the gate and waved us in, even after we told them, "We're the BASE jumpers." These were probably the first ever "corporately sponsored" BASE jumps as Todd. S., Anne H., Dave B., and Theresa Tran made freefalls from the "Skytower" on opening day.

The park officials loved it, but the customers, mostly teenagers, thought it was some kind of "trick" and I suppose it was . . .

Anyway, for those who may have forgotten, and for those who don’t know what I'm talking about, at some point tomorrow raise a beverage and say, "Hey Theresa."

We lost a good one this day . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

#33 Theresa Tran, December 20, 1995
Cliff Jump
Riverside County, California, USA
Total Malfunction and Impact
Theresa is doing a static line jump from a low cliff. At the last moment, instead of leaving the tied off pilot chute on the ground next to her launch point, she decided to place the pilot chute into the BOC pouch of her BASE container. When the static line became taught, it applied forces to the pilot chute at a right angle and the break cord prematurely parted before extracting the pilot chute and bridle from the pouch . . .

Thanks for the reminder Nick..I'll be sure to raise a glass :(
In an effort to learn from the mistakes from those who have been before...I cant say I fully understand /can visualise what happened here, or 'why' the choice would be made to put the PC in the BOC on a S/L
Could someone elaborate..?

>>Thanks for the reminder Nick..I'll be sure to raise a glass<<

Thanks, Mate . . .

Theresa was with another jumper and the other jumper launched first and landed normally. Alone at the launch point now, and for some reason, she folded her pilot chute in half (the break cord is attached to the bridle) and placed it in the BOC. At the time no one had ever done that before (has anyone done that since?).

Usually the tied off bridle, along with the back up pilot chute, is laid next to where you are standing. After launching the break cord then gets loaded up gradually. As in goes taught it peels a lightly patted down shrivel flap from the rig, and then just "holds" the canopy in place as you fall away. Full line stretch than finally parts the break cord.

In this case the break cord went taught after launch, but the first resistance it encountered wasn't peeling the shrivel flap. It was yanking the pilot chute from the spandex BOC pouch. We guess she stuffed the pilot chute too deep into the BOC pouch and the dynamic shock load overcame the yield force of the break cord. There's was nothing she could do at that point, as at this place, as soon as you realize it isn't happening, it's over . . .

It should also be said she made the change in configuration, without thinking it through, and probably worse, while already wearing her rig.

Sadly, I found out about Theresa's death only a few days after I sent her a Christmas card in the mail back in 1995. This was the first time I knew a BASE jumper who died and it made me think twice about the sport. What hurt the most was when Theresa's relatives went through her mail and eventually found my Christmas card. They called me and we talked for awhile. I told them about a recent jump we were on. It was a heart-wrenching phone call.

On that 1995 Christmas card was a photo Theresa took of me standing at the top of El Cap only a few months before her death. We both jumped El Cap and I got to see what a unique person she was.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

>>On that 1995 Christmas card was a photo Theresa took of me standing at the top of El Cap only a few months before her death. We both jumped El Cap and I got to see what a unique person she was.<<

>>c)2006 Jason Bell. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <<

Screw you, Brother. I'm putting that into the "BASE Book". If you don't like it - you can freaking sue me . . .

Love ya, Brother . . .

An addendun . . .

Martn Tilley, of Asylum Designs, was also on that first Magic Mountain load.

Simon P. Jakemon and I were ground crew . . .

The day before the park opened we rode the Viper time and again without stopping as they were testing it.

She taugh me how to pack. I've still got a picture (somewhere) of me and her standing in front of my brand new Sabre 135 all packed up nicely on the ground waiting to be stuffed into the bag.
I had a crush on her. :)

No problem, Nick. My copyright thingy is only meant to scare the gullible media. I'll see if I can find a pic or two of Theresa and post, if that's appropriate.

Screw you, Brother. I'm putting that into the "BASE Book". If you don't like it - you can freaking sue me . . .
Love ya, Brother . . .

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I'll see if I can find a pic or two of Theresa and post, if that's appropriate.

That would be good, for the list also.

I really like the rememberance plaque to her on that object. The person who took me there respectfully brushed away the dust and dirt that had natually accumulated on it before we jumped.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

We had some good photos of her, but they went missing over the years.

So yes, please post what you have. I really need one for the List . . .

I did not know her.
But after a recent loss of my own, I was happy to see her remembered.I cried and then I smiled.
I will definately raise a glass to her.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

Here's a photo of Theresa. It's an old scan of a 4x6 photo. I might have more pictures and video, but I'll have to dig deep for them.

Godamnit Nick!
I was just signing on for a frigggin second to the DZ BASE zone. You picked at an old wound that I haddent thought about in awhile. You sent a chill down my back.
I was doing my first Yosemite solo and I got to the top late about 2AM and her and Dave were at the top, we had a wonderful evening togeather giggling all night then we launched at first light, it was her first cliff jump. God what fun.
She always had on those white shorts, yes we all had a crush on her. She was a breath of fresh air.
Keith

Hello Neil,
Most days I am really just not entirely sure.
Considering I can still hear Nik's voice,
and I can often see Lee's smile,
and feel Erich's passion...

They know what I and many want to know
and at the moment of discovery
will be unable to reveal.

Nobody knows where you are,
how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Merry Christmas
God bless you.
==================================