jumpy

Old Round

Ahh a whuffo friend of mine got me a sweet old round that was apparently rejected by the military. This is a picture of the sewn on patch on it.. Anyone know anything interesting about it?
Hopefully it'll get windy enough so i can inflate it and get a mad pic of it later.

Ahh a whuffo friend of mine got me a sweet old round that was apparently rejected by the military. This is a picture of the sewn on patch on it.. Anyone know anything interesting about it?
Hopefully it'll get windy enough so i can inflate it and get a mad pic of it later.

Hi Jumpy

:(:( Can't be sure about he date, (mature eyes) but is it's 1988, thats not old:)
If the dates 1968 thats still not old:)
1928 is old:)B|

Your old enough to have seen two centuries so watch what you say dude:)
R.I.P.

That canopy looks to be a C-9. The different colors are so that pilots that are shot down can in either hide in the snow, woods, or desert. The orange section is so that spotter planes can see where the downed pilot landed and possibly rescue him. If I'm wrong about that I'm sure that some one who had been around longer can set me straight

That canopy looks to be a C-9. The different colors are so that pilots that are shot down can in either hide in the snow, woods, or desert. The orange section is so that spotter planes can see where the downed pilot landed and possibly rescue him. If I'm wrong about that I'm sure that some one who had been around longer can set me straight

I don't think it is a C-9. A C-9 is a bias constructed 28 flat. This is block, looks smaller and appears to be some sort of conical possibly with an extended skirt. It does not look like anything I can recall seeing before.
Did your friend say what branch of the service he got it from?
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Your old enough to have seen two centuries so watch what you say dude:)

Point taken... My container is actually 2 years older then that as a matter of fact :PB|

I don't think it is a C-9. A C-9 is a bias constructed 28 flat. This is block, looks smaller and appears to be some sort of conical possibly with an extended skirt. It does not look like anything I can recall seeing before.
Did your friend say what branch of the service he got it from?
Sparky

He got it from the Australian army but so i hear it 'failed' testing.... Whatever testing they did on it however i have no idea.... Would it have been a reserve?..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kevin,
Your guess is close.It is a British-designed pilot emergency parachute that competes directly with the American 28 foot diameter C-9.
However, the canopy in question is an Aeroconical Type 1000, sewn by GQ Defence, based in Great Britain.
This canopy is most commonly found in ejection seats built by Martin-Baker. Note the sea pockets and lack of diaper.
I assume that the canopy was retired by the Australian military because it is older than 15 years old (date of manufacture September 1988). GQ Defence recommends retiring all their products 15 years after they were manufactured.
Kevin, you helped drop test a later version of that canopy. Don't you remember the drop test program that we worked on at Holtville, California in November of 1994? Our focus was on testing some Rigging Innovation products in the heavy weight, high speed end of the TSO C23D envelope. Meanwhile our colleagues from GQ Defence were doing similar test drops on a variety of round miltary static-line, reserve and pilot emergency parachutes. Some of them were pretty sophisticated with extra inflation windows 2/3 of the way up the canopy.