gowaylow

comment from long time Base jumper at BD

I think everything about that picture screams 'Magot' :P
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I think everything about that picture screams 'Magot'

Certainly the number on it.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I was going to try hard and get my 'B' because I am still not part of the historical link at this stage. But if this card is about money, guns and coke, I'll pass, thanks.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I would have to say in the conversations I have had with jumpers I have taught to BASE jump or help get their BASE # (there are a few out there), the history of the sport comes up. Ground crewing, watching videos of several jumps and just hanging around to learn all the different rigging techniques that we have learned to use over the years is important so we don't repeat the past. This is kind of like the Bonfire at the DZ. You will learn things that only a seasoned jumper has the knowledge of. You get a lot of information you would not otherwise have access to on these long nights on the radio. These are the things that will keep you alive in your early years. In these conversations, the “who did what and when” always comes up and the first name mentioned is always "Carl". I feel some of these FJC have bypassed this source of knowledge. Not that they are BAD, just different than the way things were. Only time will tell where this takes us and our issues with access. The internet and FJC have changed this part of the sport a lot. Thanks (Mick) for your early efforts. I know I would not be here typing this if I had not had the mentors I did. We have come a long way and I want to see more people enjoy the freedom of Suicide without the commitment. May you all have long BASE jumping careers.

When I was a Skydiver (yes I said it) I would hear these Base jumpers talking about their jump the night before and every story began with “I thought I was going to die, then this happened or I did this and lived”. It seemed as though every jump was life or death. I used to think to myself there is no way every jump is like that.
Well now that I am a BASE jumper I have those stories and that is no SHEIT!!!!!!

Have a GoWayLow day
Packed and walking out the door!
Have a GoWayLow day
Naked BASE #7

I couldn't agree with you more..

Double packed and walking out the door!;)

gee.... was it the ninja stars that gave it away?;)

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

I don't knock people who video or even want to day blaze with 8 people that is what the sport is to them. I prefer to jump alone

wait until someone burns your favorite object dayblazing...

or some ill-prepared jumper learns of it from a video and goes in...

oh, and knowing names is not critical to safe jumping. being aware of your equipment, what has been tried before, etc. WILL help keep you injury free.

I'll take a new jumper ignorant of the founders over one ignorant about configuring their equipment!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse