d_goldsmith

Towers made for parachuting

Some think talking about sites such as the ESB, for example, is ok because they are hard to jump and talking about them is pointless. I mean its a tall ass building... kinda hard to miss, ya know?

While personally I wouldn't talk about that site (plus I don't live there), Could talking about that site be equated to talking about jumping the ESB, eiffel tower, or ST?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Since this is a tower specifically made for parachuting, perhaps it should be exempt to site naming rules. After all, we're just talking about restoration of the tower's original function. ;)

Jeez, this tower in hands of a good enterpreneur will be a goldmine. There's nothing exciting, adrenaline rush pumping to do in New York City for an average resident, 8 million of them.

Perhaps one of the big DZs in metro area would be interested? A simulated parachute jump will bring more tandems back to DZ...

It will then open a door to legal BASE from the tower.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I found another article from 2002 about a 5 million dollar restoration project and it also said "Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz's suggestion at a Sept. 26 press briefing that the Parachute Jump might be returned to operation with 21st-century technology."

If you google parachute jump this is the number 1 article.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/archives/arch_story/013004.htm

I'm going to cue Nick DG here, with the story about Carl B. seeing that ride (actually riding it, I think) as a kid, and beginning his BASE dream.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I rode on it several times (what New York city kid didn't) in the 1960s including in it's last year of operation which I think was 1968. The area around Coney Island was getting pretty rough in those days and for a 15 year old just getting there was the most worrisome thing.

But it was a scary ride in that the seat was very small and the restraints comical compared to how you get strapped into rides today. The ride up was thrilling, and you got a little jolt at the top (like a soft opening shock) before the "trap door" effect until the parachute fully inflated. It was really a mechanical Tard for non-jumpers.

In more recent times I wrote them some years ago, when they started renovating it, to suggest some real jumps for the re-opening. But I never heard back from them. However, I'm sure some modern BASE jumper already has it in their logbook . . .

Tom, I've never seen Carl Boenish write, or heard him talk, about it so if you have something, I'd sure like to hear about it.

NickD :)BASE 194