jtholmes

going fetal

I have seen this 3 times in my four years jumping. it is usually preceded by a bridal wrap or otherwise fearful event that put the jumper very low.

it is kind of funny to see them go into the fetal position like it is just so scary they do not want to see what's going on and they just close up into the fetal position perhaps bracing for impact, and then WHAMMO!! they get yanked out of the sky and whipped into line twists or an on-header or whatever their fate brings.

how frequently is this going on?????

anyone else seen this?

it is kind of funny to see them go into the fetal position like it is just so scary they do not want to see what's going on and they just close up into the fetal position perhaps bracing for impact, and then WHAMMO!! they get yanked out of the sky and whipped into line twists or an on-header or whatever their fate brings.

anyone else seen this?

I've seen it from first person perspective. I'd like to say it was bracing for impact but I'm not entirely sure. More likely I was just going back to some pre-natal intuition.

I attribute the last-nano-second inflation of my pilotchute to this change of body position so I don't think it's a bad habit per se... :)
Besides, I still do it every time Abbie and I sleep together.

Besides, I still do it every time Abbie and I sleep together.

So... spooning or cuddling does it for ya, Jaap?;)

Fetal position (arms in/knees tucked) can prevent bridal enrtanglements with arms and legs during deployment on overrotating/off-axis aerials. Sometimes it is a very intentional maneuver.

I have seen this 3 times in my four years jumping. it is usually preceded by a bridal wrap or otherwise fearful event that put the jumper very low.

anyone else seen this?

It is human instinct to protect internal organs.

I find that a modified fetal (arms somewhat out) is the best exit for tracking. You start rotating and then kick everything out just before you rotate into the track angle . Kicking out stops your rotation. I'll search for a foto.
plus it feels natural :D
take care,
space

I've seen several experienced BASE jumpers go fetal in the passenger seat when I drive at night.

As I was about to pound in, Im pretty sure I was going to die, it blows my mind that I even grabbed my toggles. No excuses, pulling that low should never happen, I think I was curling up to die! I mean Goin In was about to die!

I find that a modified fetal (arms somewhat out) is the best exit for tracking. You start rotating and then kick everything out just before you rotate into the track angle . Kicking out stops your rotation. I'll search for a foto.
take care,
space

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=48408;

I know I've seen another one somewhere too.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Thats not a modified fetal position, the dude bent his knees...fetal is on your side. Just wanted to set the record straight. Ask "going in" what the fetal position looks like...

Its the same position I assume after your mom gives it to me Slambo. As to Jt, I dont know if I was in the fetal postion or not but my "oh fu*#k me" warning system was definantly on and I was turning sideways as I was trying to yank out my pc. JH has the best angle and I havent seen it yet! As to the pic from tyron, it looks more like a karate move called crouching tiger! vs. my position which was more like OH FUc# I'm going to die! Mommy!!

I think Tyrion's photo was refering to the following comment not about the fetal possition.

take care,
space

I think Tyrion's photo was refering to the following comment not about the fetal possition.

Which is exactly why I replied to that specific post and included the quote from it ;)