JaapSuter

Duct tape on a velcro rig...

Hey,

Probably a Darwin award nominee question here, but I'll take my chances. Has anybody succesfully used duct tape over the top of his shrivel flap to lessen the likelyhood of a premature and consequent horseshoe on a tracking dive? I recall reading a wingsuiter doing something like that.

The shrivel flap on a Vision doesn't tuck at the top unfortunately. The velcro is hella burly though.

Yeah yeah, I'm getting a pin rig soon.

Just curious... ;)

Jaap

You must have a hell of a track to worry about that much airflow over the top of your rig. :P

I would wingsuit it as long as the velcro's strong. I have seen tape used like you say, and I have done it once, but it should be super sticky or you are just wasting your time. So many internet jumpers act like you will die as soon as you step off with a wingsuit and velcro, but I've seen many wingsuit jumps done with velcro. You already know a pin rig is the way to go, but if it's taped velcro or no jump, I would be sure the velcro is strong and jump with confidence.
Poor velcro rigs have taken a beating here at the internet exit point. I will never part with my trusty old velcro rig. I've seen a pack job dumped on the ground at an exit point, and you can guess what type of rig was holding it. I use pin rigs for most jumps, but I always enjoy hearing the subterminl rip of hook n' loop.
Stand by for all the "but why would you?" responses.

Edit: I seriously thought I read wingsuit, not tracking. Oh well, in that case, what the hell are you worried about?

I think some interesting research could be done on this subject in a horizontal wind tunnel. Has anyone ever looked into a wind tunnel or has it ever been researched? I'm wondering what affect the forward vs. downward speed would have on it. It seems to me (at first thought atleast), that the flatter and faster (forward speed), the higher the risk of a shrivel flap peeling prematurely... Hence, the better you track, the more dangerous velcro would be.

Ganja

If you feel tape is needed, I would suggest using Gaffers tape instead of Duct tape. Its a lower tack tape that will have enough grip to stand up to the wind and it will release easier during deployment.

Just a thought.

I seriously thought I read wingsuit, not tracking. Oh well, in that case, what the hell are you worried about?

It's a tensioned Phoenix setup. It sure as hell ain't VKB but I do think I'm hauling moderate ass.

I've done regular tracking skydives (jeans and shirt) with my velcro BASE rig no problem, it's the addition of the Phoenix that has me slightly concerned.

Jaap

Also, gaffer tape won't leave marks on your rig like duct tape would.

Where were you allowed to do a skydive with a velcro rig?

Where were you allowed to do a skydive with a velcro rig?

Legally speaking; in Canada as long as you wear a belly-mount. That said, every dropzone can have their own policy so it doesn't necessarily mean you can show up at any DZ and flick your BASE rig without a problem. Fortunately, I visit a very supportive dropzone.

hello Jaap.

Unless your tarp is too big for your vision container, the velcro will not open because of a track or wingsuit jump. it just wont happen. I wingsuit with my vision whenever it pops up in the rotation and I do not think twice about it.velcro works just fine. it is only when the tarp is too big that the velcro rigs want to burst open early.

To me this issue is kind of like the dynamic corners thing. in theory it is worth worrying about, but in reality nobody tracks well enough for it to be an issue.

I promise you wont have a premature opening as long as your velcro is in OK shape and your parachute fits comfortably in the container.

jt

...and duct tape?? what the hell would you use the duct tape for? that is just silly.

I just recalled somebody mentioning this technique, in relation to wingsuit BASE, a while back. I imagine you put one strip of duct tape laterally covering the top of your shrivel flap, the idea being that the wind can't peel underneath it and start opening it.

Anyway, jumped it twice today. No duct tape, no problems. And Raven's are fun, thanks Raistlin... :)

A better mod than the duct tape (and slightly harder to do, but easy enough with a sewing machine) is to attach some spandex in square pocket shapes to the side flaps, and then tuck the top corners of the shrivel flap into them. Any reasonably competent rigger ought to be able to do it.

For what it's worth, I think that using a velcro rig with a wingsuit is a very bad idea. For the same reasons, I think that if you are tracking veyr efficiently, you're better off with a pin rig than a velcro one.

There have been cases of premature openings on wingsuit flights, and it would suck to be the guy who was reinventing the wheel and came out with a horseshoe malfunction on a BASE jump.

Learning from the mistakes of others = good.

Figuring "hey, I've done it 20 times and it's worked so far, so I must be impervious to those mistakes that hurt other people" = silly.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think that using a velcro rig with a wingsuit is a very bad idea. For the same reasons, I think that if you are tracking very efficiently, you're better off with a pin rig than a velcro one.

Agreed.

Velcro in good condition *should* be fine BUT life is precious so why not use the better alternative..
BASEstore.it