Nullified

Riggers...modifying a main...

Howdy.

Have any of you ever done a 3-ring bridle retraction mod, like is used on Lightning's, to another main?
I'm wondering if there would be any negative side effects to performing this mod on say, a Sabre2 or similar canopy. Of course the appropriate bridle and non collapsable pilot chute would need to be used.

Thanks, and stay safe.
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

The ring attachment points are reinforced so that the load on the rings is transfered to the lines during deployment. I was talking to one of the Aerodyne guys and he told me that they have seen destroyed canopies from people who tried to add a retractable bridle without proper reinforcing. He also said that the reinforcing is practically impossible to add to an assemebled canopy.

I recall the old 21 - cell Evolution, of the early '90's having retractible bridles. I knew a couple jumpers who had them and had more reserve rides because the 'bridle' would hang-up and cause an 'inversion', malfunction. A newer model came-out, supposedly correcting the problem but, were soon, no longer marketed. The retractible pilot-chute came along, which has been a better idea. I don't believe, I would want a retractible bridle on a high performance parachute.

Chuck

I think I read somewhere the PD said not to do it on a Spectre. Was interested myself for a while, would've liked my Spectre to be more CF-friendly. Got a hybrid Tri now. But anyway I think this topic has been discussed here before I just can't seem to find it right now :S I think PD said something about canopies collapsing. Maybe ask in the CF forum? I know, not being very helpful here..... :S;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know, not being very helpful here

Everyting's helpful, just a matter of degree!
I think Indyz has made the best point...I don't want holes being ripped in my topskin!

I know we're talking basic classification here, but I don't fly my Sabre2 as a HP canopy. I hardly fly it at all, in fact. I'm just thinking about those rare times when a little CReW on the bottom half of the occasional RW jump 'happens', and I'd be much more comfortable without a trailing bridle.
For instance, right now my Lightning is at the bottom of a swamp near ZHills, and my new Lightning is still over a month away. I don't mind Sabre CReW, but I'd feel better if I could make it a little safer.

I'm not sure why the retraction would cause the canopy to collapse. I'd like to hear more about that if anyone has more to offer.

Thanks, everyone, and stay safe.
Mike

I have your answer right here mike. Do you want it, well, do ya?

Sell that sabre2, and have PD build you a new one (same color scheme, of course) with the reinforcement for the retractable p/c

Or you can get back to rw like you've been doing seeing as how all the cool kids think you and howard have crew coodies. B|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Sell that sabre2, and have PD build you a new one (same color scheme, of course) with the reinforcement for the retractable p/c

Icarus Boy, I like that idea, and I considered it for a moment. Truth is, I can never sell that canopy. I don't think I could ever sell a canopy again. I know it's corny, but I fall in love with them. I'm even considering re-purchasing my first PD F111 canopy which I traded for a pilot chute two years ago, and is still sitting on the shelf in the Pro Shop. It's breaking my heart seeing it there. All that being said, I just bought another Lightning and I'm going to end up replacing my reserve soon...don't have the cash for yet another canopy.

Or you can get back to rw like you've been doing seeing as how all the cool kids think you and howard have crew coodies.

Thanks for making me smile;) Perhaps one day, if I try very hard, I can become cool.
Stay safe, Johnny.
Mike

Last year I bought a Sharpchuter with all the CRW/demo bells and whistles: flag bag, split stabilizers, split slider, crw lines, and of course the retracting PC. It's a good canopy (for what it's designed for, not much on the swoop pond) but I'm kinda bummed about the retractible PC. It's a pretty neat installation, all internal so it looks pretty and stuff, but there really isn't enough bridle. I guess that there is only so much bridle that can be taken up by the system that it limits the total amount of bridle available to you. This creates two problems for me:

1.) The amount of bridle after the pin (between pin and PC) is WAY short, like only five feet or so. I haven't had any trapped in the burble YET, but I'm just waiting for the inevitable. It teaches you to be forceful with your PC throw. I'm thinking about adding a couple feet of extra bridle between the end of the bridle and PC, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the system, doesn't it?

2.) Even when it's in the bag and fully cocked, there's BARELY enough bridle between the bag and the pin to get the pin to the closing loop. Worse, as the canopy settles and fills the nooks and crannies it wants to pull back into the bag, worsening the situation with the pin. This makes me SUPER nervous with regards to canopy-out situations in the plane (or worse).

I'm definitely not bashing Flight Concepts; I think it's all put together well and the problems I'm having are just the shortcomings to the system.

My point is, the retractible PC is great for crw and demos, but as far as jumping as a regular, every day, work or play canopy... maybe not.

I know what you mean... I have just gotten a hybrid Triathlon 120. The bigger (at least the 175, haven't measured the bridle of the 160 and 150) hybrids we have at our DZ are suitable enough for birdman, however, mine being such a small canopy and therefore having a shortish bridle is not.
So I bought a brand new killine pc for it along with a 2nd hand extra bag last weekend (okay I'm too lazy to keep changing all that stuff everytime). Now it is a mostly-regular freefall Tri for the time being.
I like this better; rings in combination with a bag is a very large potential for holes in your canopy. My Lightning is in a bag and has 3 holes [:/]
Haven't jumped the Tri like this yet, and since I have only 5 jumps on it now and it is the smallest canopy I've jumped, I haven't used it for BM yet either. Will probably do that soon tho, if it opens right now (had 2 pc's in tow for a bit with hop'n'pops from not pushing the pin back and one slammer from pushing it all the way to the thicker bit of the bridle;ouch). At least the brake settings are alright now; first jump the flare was at shoulder-height :S All in all, need some more jumps on this canopy before using it for birdman. It'll be a lovely canopy for filming crew tho, and I've already docked a tiny velocity with it :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia