iamthewalrus

helmet recommendation

Looking to get a 661 Full Bravo or similar downhill mountain biking helmet w/max protection, can't find any locally

Any recommendations for online dealers and/or specific models since the last thread on this?

Paragliding fullface, if that is what you're into.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

This thread - while skydiving oriented - could have a few handy links and ideas for you.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

the 661 bravo has been sold out since late last year and their 2006 version isn't out yet. Giro makes a similar helmet called the remedy that many bike shops carry and it works great for me. I know protec makes a full face too.
late,
RJ$$
edit to add: i got mine at http://www.go-ride.com/
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

protec makes a few cool snowboard and bike helmets

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

All Helmets on the market except for speed skiing I think, are not very aerodynamic for tracking or wingsuiting. The airflow in these modes are perpendicular to riding a bike or skateboard. I have limited my crap helmet for low jumps because it craps out my tracking. I am looking for a good tracking helmet though and its hard to find something better than no helmet.
Let me know if you know of any.
take care,
space

You are a funny boy Tracy! Track with a speed-skiing-helmet? Darth Tracer, may the force be with you! But hey, you might be right, maybe an aerodynamic helmet would get you goin a lot better.
But I doubt the saftey-aspects of a such a helmet and if I understood it right, that's what the thread is about. I was actually quite surprised how well I could track with a motocross-helmet: I recently did some base-jumps with a mountainbike, and as I landed on the bike, I wanted to have the best available protection: I went with a full-on motocross-helmet, a 661 Flight. On the first test-jump I ditched the bike and tracked for 15-20 secs, so I opened at full speed. I also had side-mounted a camera and so I was a bit worried about risers and weight.
No problem with tracking, opening or anything else - I just turned the head slightly to avoid the riser slap the cam.
But I have to admit that this a bit hardcore and I wouldn't use it for jumping all the time. There are lighter mtb-dh-helmets like the 661 full bravo carbon for example and my skiing helmet (not a full-face) even weighs a fracture of this and it does a good job - I hit my head hard with it while skiing and it saved my head from getting a big hole.
I do not believe at all in skydiving-helmets when it comes to protection. They are designed to mount cameras on them and protect you from cold wind, noise and maybe a knee hitting your nose - period.

Track with a speed-skiing-helmet?

There was a Swiss guy at the An72 boogie who had a downhill ski helmet made for him so he could wingsuit in it. Lets just say that it was far from safe as once deployed he had to bend his head at a weird angle to avoid the risers and turning his head was very difficult. He also explained that once he was open he couldn't actually see straight in front of him but only down as the small window is designed for when the person is tucked. Not sure if it helped him really but I can tell you it is not something one would want to BASE in.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING