zoobrothertom

Here's a sad one

Very sad. 3 families in turmoil. I assume they must have all been on a single support line. I know I am slow when climbing, but I always make sure I have at least 3 points of contact to keep myself as safe as possible. 3 people in one single event, an aggressive investigation needs to take place.

Nic

Nic, sounds like you've done some climbing. I've done a lot of rappeling (sp?) but have never had to tie off such a large group.

Any clues/experience on how they do it with tower maintenance? Anybody want to chime in?

Sounds like all 3 were on 1 platform/support system that failed, rather than on individual fall arrest systems. Or perhaps individual fall arrest systems while all using the same point of attachment(s) that ended up failing.

In Industrial Rope Access (which is what I'm doing) this is unheard of. I believe there are only 2 or 3 fatalities since IRA is used. I therefore believe they were not using this method.

It's sad that something like this can happen in the 21st century.

When more news comes about the cause and the fall arrest equipment used it will be interesting to read about it. I would appreciate it if you could post it.

J

www.vandrunen.ch

Woh! Dude, you just triggered a memory switch. When I was 17, I spent a summer with my Uncle climbing girders as a cable puller in a power plant under construction in Texas (labor laws were lax back then). I understand what you mean. I remember being told that if we were in a group to never tie off to the same point!! I've jumped towers but never tied off to one. Now I know what you mean. One platfrom supported at one or two strong points but everyone is tied off to one railing. The weight caused the one/two points to fail and everyone went with it. :(
Condolences to the families...

One platfrom supported at one or two strong points but everyone is tied off to one railing. The weight caused the one/two points to fail and everyone went with it.

Is this what actually happend or is this what 'you think' might have happenend?

The article doesn't give detailed information...

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

This is a good site for monitoring tower-related information. Seems to be the central location of online tower professional discussion:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tower-pro/

Some speculative discussion surrounding the recent event mentioned above:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tower-pro/message/36568

Similarly, Comtrain (tower climbing safety training and construction training company) keeps up with most things tower-related, here:

http://www.comtrainusa.com/news.htm

Think - speculate... Nothing definite... Just thinking...

What exactly is 'rope riding'? Never heard that one before...

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

He MAY be referring to a term called "Riding the line", that is riding or "Clipping" to the load line for the winch that was mentioned in the article.It used to be a standard practice back in the day to ride the line with the load to avoid climbing up or down especially when building a guyed tower prior to the tower and or elevator being completed.
I am not speculating in any way that is what the deceased were doing at the time of the accident.
My heart goes out to their families.
Alan