Trivial_Trekker

Has anyone BASE jumped a glacier??

by 'BASE jump a glacier' do you mean crevasses? There may be crevasses wide enough to permit a base jump if you know what your doing and/or are crazy enough. I don't think they can be over 400 feet though, because below that much weight, ice starts to flow without cracking (at least thats Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills says)

Edit: does anybody know if 'crevasses' is the proper plural form of the word? it just sounds wrong... but then again so does 'crevassi' :$

A serac band is jumpable... there are plenty in the rockies that would be doable with skis. Maybe a few that would be doable without.

People have certainly jumped / flown past serac bands after exiting from cliffs above. Sam Beagey flew a wing suit past some cool glaciers off some big cliff in Pak.

I was thinking more of something resmebling more of a cliff, such where Ice meats water. I was looking at some photos in a books and got wondering.

What I really think would be even neater, would be to jump an Iceberg somewhere NW of Newfoundland. I think it would be a jump of a life time, b/c no one could repeat it. Your site would eventually melt away into the atalantic...
Obviously you would need to have mad skills in both ice climbing and base jumping.:D
I found this picture

http://www.sgisland.org/download/wallpaper/iceberg.jpg

very cool stuff

[]DETE

I was thinking more of something resmebling more of a cliff, such where Ice meats water.

I can't remember the sequence completely but you mean something like the icesheet in Die Another Day? ..with out the CGI obviously.. that would be cool though- but would need a back up team for boats etc (and if u dont land in a boat then you'd freeze bits off that you would rather keep..

Now if there was some site where a glacier has receeded to a 'lip' above a cliff/steep face (like a hanging valley) that would make for a nice jump!:)

Now if there was some site where a glacier has receeded to a 'lip' above a cliff/steep face (like a hanging valley) that would make for a nice jump!:)

That would be what is known as a serac.

There is a serac jump with near glacier/ wall strike in a video called "focused"

purchase here:

http://www.digitaldividecwn.com/msp/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=25

the answer is yes.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

the answer is yes.

If I am not mistaken, a french guy went for a commercial to Greenland, to jump a glacier. It flows down into a fjord, and the exit point is from the edge of the ice, above the water. Hight, about 70 meters. Yes, there are glaciers big like that.

It did not work out the first time, bad weather. They went again in 2005, but I did not hear anything about the result, being OK or no.

Anyway, glaciers big like that tend to break near the edge. Must be REALLY scary to stand on top of a glacier.

Ronald Overdijk.