MooChooser

Naming Base sites

Just wondering what the actual problem with naming sites on here is.

There are some objects/locations that seem so obvious that it would be irrelevant if somone named them. However, there was a post a while back where someone got flamed for posting a picture of a new structure in france as if no one had thought of it as a base site before.

What about skydivingmovies? anyone local to the city/area where the jump is taking place could probably identify the site.

I used to live in a suburb of Bristol called Clifton. Whilst there I noticed an object that may have been attractive to base jumpers. I think the authorities in the area are perfectly aware of its potential without having to read about it here.

Im assuming that the concern is that authorities may increase security or that some idiot may die jumping from named objects/locations.
At the same time though, im sure there must be another reason for the rule.

Does the rule only apply to sites that are not well known? Im sure that I could mention A***l f***s right?

Anyway, im not trying to piss anyone off, just curious.

Does the rule only apply to sites that are not well known? Im sure that I could mention A***l f***s right?

The rule is supposed to apply across (edit) this board, even to well known sites for the simple fact that saying "No site naming. PERIOD." doesn't leave it open to the varying interpretations of all jumpers: "Well, it's okay this time because..." :S

Your interpretation and mine may be entirely different and we have enough other things to bicker about online, anyway. It just helps to keep things consistent.
-C.

Search for Moab give 795 results in this forum. I don't think you could call it "consistent no-naming".

Fido

Just wondering what the actual problem with naming sites on here is.

The short answer:

People read these (or similar) boards. People find out where a site is on these boards. People go there without any training, and possibly with totally inappropriate gear. People are seriously injured or killed.

This has already happened several times. I'd prefer to avoid having it happen again.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Search for Moab give 795 results in this forum. I don't think you could call it "consistent no-naming".

"Moab" is not a site. It's a geographic area. That's like saying "Seach for South of France gives XXX results in this forum."

As far as consistency:

The simple fact of the matter is that I have only so much time and energy to police this forum. That means that I often let things slip through, because I occasionally have other things to do, or want to run out and do something other than sit here and watch y'all with all my time.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Semantics. Moab is full of exits. We're talking about protecting info on a specific site/exit by not naming it, not an entire area.

-C.

I notice that your home DZ is a Bridge.

Is it ok to name that because (presumably) its legal to jump from it?

I notice that your home DZ is a Bridge. Is it ok to name that because (presumably) its legal to jump from it?

He lives under it, so thats ok.;)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I notice that your home DZ is a Bridge.

Is it ok to name that because (presumably) its legal to jump from it?

Please do me a favor. Seriously.

Read the link Sean posted, which is also linked at the top of this forum. It specifically addresses both (a) your original question, and (b) that particular site.

After you've finished reading that thread, I'll be happy to address any additional questions that come up.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

V....n is geographic area, but you removed its name.

That's at least partly because it's less local to me, and I am less familiar with it.

I am more comfortable making closer judgments on sites that are closer to me, or that I am more familiar with.

When they are "some one elses" sites, I tend to be much more conservative in what I allow, largely out of respect for the locals there. In some cases where sites have been discussed that I was totally unaware of, I've gone so far as to remove the names of entire geographic regions, simply because I was not familiar with how closely the place name narrowed down the area until after I had removed it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have read the thread and it is very informative.

Im unfamiliar with the bridge but is there some reason why talking about it is less of a problem than say the landmark I lived next to a few years ago?
People can still just turn up and jump off it without training.

Why do you refer to it as "the Bridge Day site" in your post but by name on your profile?

I dont mean to sound antagonistic. Just trying to get my head around it.

"the bridge day site" and the bridge in toms area, are two totally different bridges.... this explains your inability to understand why "we" wouldnt want people like "you" to be spoonfed locations....

because "you" could die,very eaisly and "we" would lose access because of "you"

keep your head in your helmet, one day youll figure it out...

Thats has to be quote of the week.....LOL....:D

Your too funny.....B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

"the bridge day site" and the bridge in toms area, are two totally different bridges.... this explains your inability to understand why "we" wouldnt want people like "you" to be spoonfed locations....

because "you" could die,very eaisly and "we" would lose access because of "you"

Ok, so you think the purpose of this post is for "me" to discover "your" favourite site so "I" can jump from it and spoil it for "everyone". Dont worry thats not my intention.
Before you get all wound up, take a deep breath and re-read. Im not asking anyone to name anything. Just asking asimple question.

Are you also saying that the reason Im asking the questions I am, is because I dont know the difference between 2 US bridges? I dont see what your point is.

Out of interest, what makes you assume im the type to fish for names here so I can go out and jump from them?

Where did that come from?

Are you also saying that the reason Im asking the questions I am, is because I dont know the difference between 2 US bridges? I dont see what your point is.

I think the point is 3 or 4 people on this board with alot of experience have told you where to look for your answers and you still continue to ask the same questions... That will get you know where with this bunch.... If you cant take good information to help answer your questions then your not off to a good start....:S

no offence intended...just 2 cents....B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Mate, im taking in the info, I respect the opinions of those with more experience than me....which is everyone, and im just trying to learn something ok?

I guess when the time comes I'll know where to seek advice.

and im just trying to learn something ok

come on now mate...i spent 6 months living in england....you guys and the pints, pubs, and that stupid snooker...... you guys are hard headed....Its the beer...Wish i was hanging out in a pub right now.....B|

Well if you'd just said that in the first place, we could've left it at that and avoided all of the "unpleasantness"

Im going to assume that its better to piss you guys off by asking questions than to assume that the S in my back yard is something I can talk about because its in my back yard.

Well if you'd just said that in the first place, we could've left it at that and avoided all of the "unpleasantness"

ug...my fingers are hurting...It's not unpleasantness...It's doing things by the numbers. There are over 5000 or so base jumpers in the world give or take a few.... There are only less than a hundred who post on these forums here.... Just consider this a pub in a world of pubs.... That leaves 4900 or so other base jumpers at different pubs around the world.... Some people like this ...well in the states we call them "bars"... bar .. and some people dont. You stay , drink, chat or fight if you wish or just drink and soak up whats happing with this crowd. It's all different... No matter where you go...there you are....B|

Im going to assume that its better to piss you guys off by asking questions than to assume that the S in my back yard is something I can talk about because its in my back yard.

Well if you want to assume that ..the take a stab at Skin, he will tell you like is....:D

im parched.......:S

It was a joke.

It was a joke.

mine too...but not about skin.....:o

Hey what the best beer now over there....?